Mystery Snails

1. children11 Member Member

I have mystery snails in my 72 gallon tank. They seem to turn on their backs and was wondering if they can turn back over on their own or do I need to put them right side up?

Thank You

Bernice

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

no there fine mine do it sometimes and they filp them selves back over so just leave them they will be fine

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

You will find your snails is all kinds of positions, you won't need to move them. They are a curious lovely bunch to watch.
    Have fun with them.

5. chrisb Initiate Member

will my pleco try to eat my snails. I keep catching the one pleco sucking on the snail shell.

6. djadv111 Initiate Member

I was looking in to getting one but I was kind of worried. Do they do the "mystery" reproduction? And end up with 5 thousand nearly invisible babies?

I thought plecos were herbivores so I think he might be eating anything that’s growing on the shell that the snail can’t reach

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. DJ is correct and your Pleco is probably eating the algae from the snail shell. I doubt that he would purposely eat the snail.

DJ check out the links in post #3
    Ken

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

My bristlenose also "clean" my mystery snail shells :) but it doesn't hurt them.
    There are certain salt water snails that can't turn back over(strange) but all freshwater snails as far as I know can turn themselves back over.
    Carol

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. I noticed that my second link in post #3 wasn't working. I corrected it.
    Ken

10. chrisb Initiate Member

Thanks

Thanks. I was worried my snails would get eaten.