Question Mystery Snails!!

FaeBlackfyre

Reaction score
So I got my purple mystery snails today!!! I had major anxiety that they wernt going to make it since they were being shipped but they were super alert and active and are currently bag floating in the dark in their soon to be new home.

Is there any way to tell the difference between male amd female mystery snails? The two I ordered are small and I have one large gold mystery snail. I assumed being smaller meant they were younger in age where the larger ones meant older but I realized dont really know how to tell if they're male or female

Attachments

Best Answer - View e_watson09's answer

Wardonianfungus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It’s definitely possible, but hard to do. Usually a bigger shell opening in the easiest tell. It’s not always accurate though

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got some last week...they are cool little dudes.
Make sure you have a good lid....they are escape artists.

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cory from Aquarium Co-op has a video on breeding mystery snails that's worth watching. Evidently males have a reproductive organ that shows sometimes, buy not always. He recommends getting 6 of them if you're set on breeding them, just to be relatively sure you've got at least one of each. You'd also need to be wary of water levels—for them to lay a clutch of eggs you'll need to provide a could extra inches of airspace in your tank and keep the moisture and temperature up.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can tell the difference but you have to look up in the shell, between the snail and the shell itself there is a gap, in that gap there is a way to tell. You can only do it with snails that will hang out a big versus suck up into their shells as soon as you pick them up.

I think what YellowGuppy is referring to is a siphon and ALL mystery snails have one. They just do not always show it! ;)

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wrench said:
I just got some last week...they are cool little dudes.
Make sure you have a good lid....they are escape artists.

Keep the water level lowered an inch or two and you shouldn't have this issue. Still a lid is good on all tanks in my opinion. But I've had literally hundreds of mystery snails and I've never had a single escape.

OP
FaeBlackfyre

FaeBlackfyre

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
You can tell the difference but you have to look up in the shell, between the snail and the shell itself there is a gap, in that gap there is a way to tell. You can only do it with snails that will hang out a big versus suck up into their shells as soon as you pick them up.

I think what YellowGuppy is referring to is a siphon and ALL mystery snails have one. They just do not always show it! ;)
I actually managed to find a video of some girl showing the genders of hers. From what it looked like females have two spaces where as a male as one space and its appendage

I'll save looking for a different day tho. They've been in a shipping box for a few days so I'm just gonna leave them be and wait for them to kinda settle in before I do anything to put them under anymore stress

New Threads