Mystery Snails

1. Jessica J

Jessica J Valued Member Member

Just wanted to show off our Mystery Snails in our 20 gallon. Honestly my favorite part IMG_20180504_121100.jpg IMG_20180416_194010.jpg

2. Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

Nice looking snails! I'm sure you already know, but I feel obligated to offer this advise. Keep a steady eye out above the waterline for clumps of eggs. If it turns out that you've got two genders of mystery snail they WILL breed and lay a lot of eggs just above the waterline, if you don't pick them out in time the sac dries up, falls into the water and you'll have...well..a couple more mystery snails.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I love the orange one, very nice color! And lol, yeah they lay a lot of eggs, I ended up with one male and one female, and she laid 4 clutches in 15 days, and the first clutch hatched 184 babies.... they're really cute though! That being said, I honestly believe the adults to be capable of eating some of the babies, and the clutches take several weeks to hatch and are huge pink things above the water, so you can't really miss them.

4. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

Thanks for the heads up! My husband and I have been hoping for it but haven't seen anything yet. We are thinking the tank isn't warm enough. We are sitting at 75 now. With three snails I was sure we would have something by now. Even thought we saw them mate a few times.

Thank you! That one is my favorite too. We have had them in this tank for almost 2 months and haven't seen anything yet. We are hoping for babies lol. I get the water tested once a week and everything is good so I don't understand why they are not laying eggs. To be sure all three are not the same sex.

5. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

I had mine for at least six months before they started laying. They were about as wide around as a nickel when I first got them, and are now golf ball sized and laying eggs CONSTANTLY! Haha

6. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

So there is hope lol. I lowered the water hoping that would help. I've seen them mate before so I guess it's just gonna take a little longer.

7. PatientStars

Definitely just be patient. Once they start, they won't stop! Haha I had 6, now 5 due to an escapee that I couldn't find in time to save, and I see a new clutch almost every other day. It's crazy.

8. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

Oh wow. We are looking to getting a couple more snails. I'm gonna have to order off line because all they have around here are the golden. I love the ones I have but we want something different. What do you do with them all? Lol

9. PatientStars

Aquatic arts has an awesome variety of mysteries that they'll ship to you. The shipping cost is tough, but their stock is high quality and incredibly healthy. I have no problem paying the shipping costs knowing that I'll get such great stock every time.

I have a small group of assassin snails that feed on many of the babies. I also have a tank of pea puffers, who also eat snails, so I put some of the clutches on little floating "islands" in their tank.

Any that survive the natural order of things will either be taken to my lfs, or get to grow up with me. As bad as I feel for the ones that don't make it, I feel like it's as close to nature as I can get with my tanks.

10. OP
    OP
    Jessica J

Thank you for letting me know about that. I will have to check them out. I felt bad about the guppy fry at first but it was natural and quite a few survived. We have some trumpet snails that are multiplying too fast so we have been talking bout getting a few assassin snails. I told my husband we will have to find a tank buddy to give some to lol.

11. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

If it helps, my tank maybe gets to 74, but it takes a few weeks for them to settle in to their surroundings. Even if the water level isn't low enough they may try to lay them on a lid if you have one. If you don't have a lid, they may wander outside looking for a spot... If you've seen them mating, it shouldn't be too much longer. Here's hoping!