mystery snails

1. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys I'm looking for a bottom feeder for my oscar tank and I acclimated some huge elephant cories that were about 4 inches and before I released them I kept them in the net and my oscars tried to eat them. They are now back at my lfs and I forgot to ask them about snails. Would mystery snails eat all the food on the bottom or algae or both? Sceond do you think my oscars would eat them?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I don't think they could eat them but they might harass them to death.
    :;otWhat are elephant Corys?

carol

3. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Well they sell them at my lfs I don't know the scientific name but in the tank there about 4 inches and green. I did some research and they might be emerald corys , but I didn't think corys got so big

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Some cory species do get that big. It's your job to do the research PRIOR to purchase. Don't trust your lfs (sad but true) to correctly identify anything they sell you.

If you have excess food at the bottom of your tank, you're overfeeding. If you have excess algae in the tank, you probably have your lights on too long. Easy to remedy.

Never look for a species to do a job for you. You should only get species that you really love.

5. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

I would not get mysteries. I don't know how big your oscars are, but if big enough they could eat one whole.
    Besides, mysteries will not help you out too much with the cleaning. Young ones are better at eating algae, (not enough to really make a difference though) but they pretty much give up as they get older.

I would focus on imcreasing tank maintenance before getting anything that may get eaten.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Random side note: My Mysteries live on algae and NFS algae wafers, and have gotten huge in just 3 months.

I wouldn't put anything in with an Oscar that is even slightly questionable as to if it'll be eaten or not. I've seen my old one in action, trying to eat a Common Pleco as big as it was. The Pleco won that fight, and the Oscars respect (maybe even fear lol), but this was, what? 4 or 5 Pleco's later? Biggest one was could find.

There are easier (and cheaper) ways to get rid of algae and leftover food, as Lynda said :)

8. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Thanks everybody probally won't get snails than. I gravel all the rocks and do 15 gallon water changes every other day so I'm not worrried so much about alage but didn't know if they would help. Actually I was reading someones snail blog and did like mysterys but I can't get them for my other tank because I have loaches

9. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Well I'm glad you are researching first! Maybe in the future there will be another tank you could have some snails in :)