Mystery Snails With Yoyo Loaches

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by nikm128, Apr 10, 2019.

1. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I'm aware that typically the answer would be no, but let me explain the current situation. I already have nerite, ramshorn, and trumpet snails with some yoyo's, and they are never bothered. So logically I could add mystery snails without having to worry right?

2. InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

Bigger snails are easier targets, sadly. It's an extremely high risk. They usually leave the smaller snails because they aren't able to get into the shells or they're too small to really notice for them.

3. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

@nikm128
    I have kept Yoyos, no snail survived with "mine". As mentioned by @InsanityShard the smaller snails tend to last longer. But in time the Yoyo will find a way.

4. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Hmmm, I swear they never mess with any of my snails, one of the nerites even fell off a rock and was stuck upside down for a while without them caring at all. The nerites are both just short of an inch along with some of the ramshorns.

5. Nick72Valued MemberMember

Just guessing, but if you're feeding more than once a day, and your Yoyo's are feeling well fed, maybe they can't be bothered with the effort of snail cracking?

If that's the case then make sure you don't ease up on the feeding for any reason.

Have to say I've always read that Yoyo's are snail crazy?

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

They get fed twice a day with the rest of the fish. I've always read they're snail crazy too, but they have no interest in mine