Mystery Snails Or Misterious Snails?

Katya

Reaction score
Hello, new here and getting back into keeping aquariums. I started a planted tank about 3 months ago, and I’ve had a really strange experience with what I think are mystery snails. I purchased a golden Inca snail from a local shop, and it’s been in the tank for around 2 months along with a couple of Nerite snails, various fish and some shrimp. I have so far experienced the joy of finding pond snails and ramshorn snails, but have also found what I believe are baby mystery snails. The attached images show the creatures in question. Although I am thrilled there may be baby mystery snails, I’m pretty confused as to how they got in the tank, because it’s my understanding that you need both a male and female for them to reproduce. I have never found any egg clutches in the tank, which I believe rules out the chances that my snail was pregnant when I got it. Also, strangely today, I found a microscopic mystery snail, which definitely didn’t hatch when the other three did. Can someone please help me figure out what these mysterious snails are and how they might be appearing in my tank?
0C2614DE-8DC9-4727-8020-4ADD23DA04BF.jpeg

6045C49E-2617-4C1B-8681-8E9D410AC396.jpeg

4F3FB61C-9AB0-41EF-8EB4-50A74DEE95CE.jpeg

D88C3886-E064-46C5-BAED-F83D316A48BF.jpeg

Katya

Reaction score
I think this is the closest I have to a top down shot at the moment:
2FB68055-F5FD-43E0-88E3-699D1B053146.jpeg

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sure looks like a Mystery to me. In every sense of the word

Katya

Reaction score
Haha, thanks! Any ideas how they’re continuing to populate in my tank? Do I have magic snails? Can itsy bitsy snails end up transferring with pet store water and I am maybe not seeing them?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tdh those look like pond snails. Why do you think they are mystery snails?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The shell shape is like a Mystery but Mysteries usually have stripes. I don't know what they are to be honest

Katya

Reaction score
I am finding pond snails as well, and when compared they look completely different. Pond snails shells are longer, oval shaped. The other guys are rounder, their bodies extend a lot further out of their shell like my big golden does. Here’s a pond snails from today (sorry, quality isn’t so great):
C612D6A0-9D6E-49C9-AEF4-7357961F2D26.jpeg

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dch48 said:
The shell shape is like a Mystery but Mysteries usually have stripes. I don't know what they are to be honest
Agreed, mysteries usually have stripes. Ramshorn speckles. Pond splotches. MTS... well not even comparable haha
Baby mysteries and baby ponds have similar shell shapes ime. The OP might want to raise them separately to keep an eye on them... if we cant tell what they are id by interested in seeing them as an adult.

Katya said:
I am finding pond snails as well, and when compared they look completely different. Pond snails shells are longer, oval shaped. The other guys are rounder, their bodies extend a lot further out of their shell like my big golden does. Here’s a pond snails from today (sorry, quality isn’t so great)
Could you take a picture of them side by side? Im trying to tell whats just the camera distortion/resize/angle vs the actual snail haha

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mystery snails lay their eggs above the water line. Other snails seem to do it anywhere. When I was in Florida there were snails in the canals that looked just like black Mysteries. Maybe they were ones that got released because there were also Oscars in the same canals.

Katya

Reaction score
fjh said:
Could you take a picture of them side by side? Im trying to tell whats just the camera distortion/resize/angle vs the actual snail haha
I unfortunately have pulled the pond snails out for the time being so I can’t get a pic of them together, but if I get the chance in the future, I definitely will. It really is hard to decipher the pictures when you can’t see them at the same time, so I appreciate you all giving me your feedback I am curious what they will grow into as well, and I don’t plan on removing them so I’ll update about them again in the future.

I was just curious if anyone else had experienced rogue mysteries. It seems so strange.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say pond snail as well with say(51%) certainty. The reason being is I had the same experience. A couple of months ago I saw an odd looking snail in the aquarium, it looked to me like a baby mystery snail (which was odd because I only have the one male Mystery snail). I watched it for a while and it turned out to be a pond snail with an unusual shell.

Could totally be wrong and I would be very interested for an update.

Katya

Reaction score
I will try to get some more pictures of them and post ASAP. Appreciate the help!

4A974170-DCA5-479D-B9D2-826FC0E887ED.jpeg
E62904F0-FAC2-42C2-A188-F84723E1FA09.jpeg
21C0E95F-498F-4251-A42A-84B8AB7C186A.jpeg
0DEB7A94-2870-4FB8-AB63-16A2F6D14438.jpeg

I don’t know a lot about all the freshwater snails, but I haven’t ever noticed the big trap door like this one has on the other pond snails I’ve found, so that’s why I’m thinking it’s a mystery snail. There are 2 others like this, but their coloring is slightly different, one has a shell that is more of a blue-ish hue, the other is a little darker than this one I think. They all have the spots on their shells. I have a pretty heavily planted tank so it isn’t always easy to find them.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well... those still definitely look like pond snails to me... shell shape, foot size, even the spots are characteristic of pond snails.
The slightly different coloring doesnt mean anything. If you look at any breed of snail there will be different colors, all based on their genetics.

Also, mystery snails have a trap door. If ypu pick up your current mystery snail youll see it.

Katya

Reaction score
fjh said:
Also, mystery snails have a trap door. If ypu pick up your current mystery snail youll see it.
I tried to get the trapdoor included in the pics, but due to the size of the snail and my lack of photography skills, it’s difficult to see. There is definitely a sizable (in relation to its size) trapdoor.

265090C3-F058-4740-87F4-4D16467ABCB5.jpeg

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Katya said:
I tried to get the trapdoor included in the pics, but due to the size of the snail and my lack of photography skills, it’s difficult to see. There is definitely a sizable (in relation to its size) trapdoor.
Oops i misread your post. I thought you said mystery snails didnt have a trap door (lol)

Yes i can see the trapdoor in the pictures. The past pic i think shows it most clearly

Katya

Reaction score
Do pond snails typically have trap doors? I haven’t ever noticed one - but I also haven’t looked with a magnifying glass or anything.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Katya said:
Do pond snails typically have trap doors? I haven’t ever noticed one - but I also haven’t looked with a magnifying glass or anything.
Hmm im trying to remember from when i had pond snails..... i *think* they did. But i didnt save any pictures to make sure :/

If you want to keep them go ahead. Just be aware that they will breed

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope pond snails do not have a trap door. I have a million of them. IMO that isn't a pond snail (I'm reversing myself). How interesting!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom