Mystery Snails Or Apple Snails?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Gabriel-CR, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Gabriel-CR

Gabriel-CRValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Hi guys i buy a snail like 4 months ago and today it only mesures 1,5 inches! Yesterday i buy another and only mesures 1 inch! What do you think they are? Mystery or apple snails? Thanks 20190105_123916.20190105_123938.

2. SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    1 year
    Apple Snail, is the bottom for sure. It has a darker tint to it. I would love to say that the top is a mystery, but I'm not 100%

3. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Ratings:
    +16
    Wow so the bottom snail will grow a lot bigger?

4. SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    1 year
    Maybe, I'm not an expert on snail growth, but possibly. layful: Look good in a pond or large cichlid tank. Thanks for the like! PM me once you get 50 messages.

5. mimo91088

mimo91088Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +135
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Bottom one still looks like a gold mystery to me. What color are their bodies? Any pics of them out and about?

6. Kathryn Crook

Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,205
    Experience:
    3 years
    Apple snails will eat plants, and mystery snails wont unless they are starving.

7. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Ratings:
    +16
    Bottom one body is white, pictures i cant take it tomorrow cause im not im home today! But bottom one bady is white and the top one is complete black

8. mimo91088

Ratings:
    +135
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Bottom is gold mystery snail for sure. Top could very well be a blue mystery. It's just the green and brown on the shell throwing me off. If that's just algae, then I bet both of them are mystery. Where did you get them? That may give a hint as well. Apple snails are a lot less common to come across for sale.

9. New Fish in Town

New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +103
    Experience:
    2 years
    My thought too.

10. NickAu

NickAuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +701
    Most " Mystery snails" are Apple snails, Pomacea diffusa wont eat most live healthy plants.

11. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Ratings:
    +16
    Yes i belive they are mystery snail,,, i buy them in my local fish store here in costa rica they was really cheap!!! I really hope both are mystery because i want to let them in my 5 gallon tank with my female betta

12. mimo91088

Ratings:
    +135
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Id say you're safe. I don't know your local laws, but in most places it's illegal for stores to sell the large apple snails because they can be very invasive.

13. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    2 years
    Mystery snails are a species of apple snail. From what I’ve gathered before, they’re pretty much just called mystery snails because they’re all so similar that it’s hard to pinpoint what exact species of apple snail it is. You typically won't find the extremely large species of apple snails sold in pet stores (at least not under the correct name) but sometimes they are sold as golden mystery snails though.

I purchased a gold mystery snail well over a year ago and it’s nearly the size of two golf balls - plus he’s lived longer than a “mystery” snails life span should be. So who really knows what species you’ve got there, even the professionals are like “wellllll, just lable it a mystery.” Hahah.

14. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Ratings:
    +16
    Do you think that for be really safe i should put the snail in a 10 gallon tank and let the female betta alone?

What do you think? I should put the snails in a 10 gal and let my female betta alone in the 5 gallon?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  15. BReefer97

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    2 years
    I think either way you’ll be okay, you’ll just have to remove the eggs if they start breeding and you don’t want more - or keep the tank filled nearly to the top because they lay their eggs above the water line, I’m not sure if that does anything but may help deter breeding.

I have one in a 5 gallon with my male betta and they’re fine together, the snail just poops A LOT. So if you do decide to put all of them together, you’ll probably just have to do an extra water change or two during the week.

So the snails in the 5 gallon with the betta fish is fine, but it’s equally fine to put the snails in the 10 gallon whatever you decide!

16. NickAu

Ratings:
    +701
    Some Bettas are fine with tank mates others are not, I have female Bettas that actively hunt and eat Malaysian trumpet snails.

17. BReefer97

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    2 years
    That’s true, but mystery/apple snails are sizable enough that the betta is really only able to nip at the tentacles - and fortunately those grow back!

18. NickAu

Ratings:
    +701
    This is why I keep Mystery snails
    4bAfIAG.
    Image is of my snail.

19. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Ratings:
    +16
    If i decide to put my snail in the 10 gallon what do you recommend me to put with my female betta in the 5 gallon tank?

Beautiful

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  20. BReefer97

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    2 years
    You could do some shrimp (not sure on what types though, I’ve not ventured down that route) or nerite snails. Nerites don’t reproduce in freshwater so you won’t have to worry about them over running your tank, and they’re decent algae eaters (though no algae eater/bottom feeder should be solely relied upon for clean up, that job is left to you ).