Mystery Snails Or Apple Snails?

Gabriel-CR

HI guys I buy a snail like 4 months ago and today it only mesures 1,5 inches! Yesterday I buy another and only mesures 1 inch! What do you think they are? Mystery or apple snails? Thanks
20190105_123916.jpg
20190105_123938.jpg

OP
G

Gabriel-CR

MinorMiner said:
Apple Snail, is the bottom for sure. It has a darker tint to it. I would love to say that the top is a mystery, but I'm not 100%
Wow so the bottom snail will grow a lot bigger?

SomeoneFISHy

Maybe, I'm not an expert on snail growth, but possibly. layful: Look good in a pond or large cichlid tank. Thanks for the like! PM me once you get 50 messages.

mimo91088

Well Known
Bottom one still looks like a gold mystery to me. What color are their bodies? Any pics of them out and about?

OP
G

Gabriel-CR

mimo91088 said:
Bottom one still looks like a gold mystery to me. What color are their bodies? Any pics of them out and about?
Bottom one body is white, pictures I can't take it tomorrow cause I'm not I'm home today! But bottom one bady is white and the top one is complete black

mimo91088

Well Known
Bottom is gold mystery snail for sure. Top could very well be a blue mystery. It's just the green and brown on the shell throwing me off. If that's just algae, then I bet both of them are mystery. Where did you get them? That may give a hint as well. Apple snails are a lot less common to come across for sale.

NickAu

Well Known
Most " Mystery snails" are Apple snails, Pomacea diffusa won't eat most live healthy plants.

OP
G

Gabriel-CR

mimo91088 said:
Bottom is gold mystery snail for sure. Top could very well be a blue mystery. It's just the green and brown on the shell throwing me off. If that's just algae, then I bet both of them are mystery. Where did you get them? That may give a hint as well. Apple snails are a lot less common to come across for sale.
Yes I belive they are mystery snail,,, I buy them in my local fish store here in costa rica they was really cheap!!! I really hope both are mystery because I want to let them in my 5 gallon tank with my female betta

mimo91088

Well Known
Id say you're safe. I don't know your local laws, but in most places it's illegal for stores to sell the large apple snails because they can be very invasive.

BReefer97

Well Known
Mystery snails are a species of apple snail. From what I’ve gathered before, they’re pretty much just called mystery snails because they’re all so similar that it’s hard to pinpoint what exact species of apple snail it is. You typically won't find the extremely large species of apple snails sold in pet stores (at least not under the correct name) but sometimes they are sold as golden mystery snails though.

I purchased a gold mystery snail well over a year ago and it’s nearly the size of two golf balls - plus he’s lived longer than a “mystery” snails life span should be. So who really knows what species you’ve got there, even the professionals are like “wellllll, just lable it a mystery.” Hahah.

OP
G

Gabriel-CR

mimo91088 said:
Id say you're safe. I don't know your local laws, but in most places it's illegal for stores to sell the large apple snails because they can be very invasive.
Do you think that for be really safe I should put the snail in a 10 gallon tank and let the female betta alone?

BReefer97 said:
Mystery snails are a species of apple snail. From what I’ve gathered before, they’re pretty much just called mystery snails because they’re all so similar that it’s hard to pinpoint what exact species of apple snail it is. You typically won't find the extremely large species of apple snails sold in pet stores (at least not under the correct name) but sometimes they are sold as golden mystery snails though.

I purchased a gold mystery snail well over a year ago and it’s nearly the size of two golf balls - plus he’s lived longer than a “mystery” snails life span should be. So who really knows what species you’ve got there, even the professionals are like “wellllll, just lable it a mystery.” Hahah.
What do you think? I should put the snails in a 10 gal and let my female betta alone in the 5 gallon?

BReefer97

Well Known
Gabriel-CR said:
What do you think? I should put the snails in a 10 gal and let my female betta alone in the 5 gallon?
I think either way you’ll be okay, you’ll just have to remove the eggs if they start breeding and you don’t want more - or keep the tank filled nearly to the top because they lay their eggs above the water line, I’m not sure if that does anything but may help deter breeding.

I have one in a 5 gallon with my male betta and they’re fine together, the snail just poops A LOT. So if you do decide to put all of them together, you’ll probably just have to do an extra water change or two during the week.

So the snails in the 5 gallon with the betta fish is fine, but it’s equally fine to put the snails in the 10 gallon whatever you decide!

NickAu

Well Known
Some Bettas are fine with tank mates others are not, I have female Bettas that actively hunt and eat Malaysian trumpet snails.

BReefer97

Well Known
NickAu said:
Some Bettas are fine with tank mates others are not, I have female Bettas that actively hunt and eat Malaysian trumpet snails.
That’s true, but mystery/apple snails are sizable enough that the betta is really only able to nip at the tentacles - and fortunately those grow back!

OP
G

Gabriel-CR

BReefer97 said:
I think either way you’ll be okay, you’ll just have to remove the eggs if they start breeding and you don’t want more - or keep the tank filled nearly to the top because they lay their eggs above the water line, I’m not sure if that does anything but may help deter breeding.

I have one in a 5 gallon with my male betta and they’re fine together, the snail just poops A LOT. So if you do decide to put all of them together, you’ll probably just have to do an extra water change or two during the week.

So the snails in the 5 gallon with the betta fish is fine, but it’s equally fine to put the snails in the 10 gallon whatever you decide!
If I decide to put my snail in the 10 gallon what do you recommend me to put with my female betta in the 5 gallon tank?

NickAu said:
This is why I keep Mystery snails
4bAfIAG.jpg

Image is of my snail.
Beautiful

BReefer97

Well Known
You could do some shrimp (not sure on what types though, I’ve not ventured down that route) or nerite snails. Nerites don’t reproduce in freshwater so you won’t have to worry about them over running your tank, and they’re decent algae eaters (though no algae eater/bottom feeder should be solely relied upon for clean up, that job is left to you ).

OP
G

Gabriel-CR

BReefer97 said:
You could do some shrimp (not sure on what types though, I’ve not ventured down that route) or nerite snails. Nerites don’t reproduce in freshwater so you won’t have to worry about them over running your tank, and they’re decent algae eaters (though no algae eater/bottom feeder should be solely relied upon for clean up, that job is left to you ).
Do you think that I can add to the female betta some cherry shrimp?

BReefer97

Well Known
Gabriel-CR said:
Do you think that I can add to the female betta some cherry shrimp?
I believe so, but I’m not 100% sure. I would make a second thread and ask about what shrimp types would be best suited for you shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters so keep that in mind as well!

OP
G

Gabriel-CR

BReefer97 said:
I believe so, but I’m not 100% sure. I would make a second thread and ask about what shrimp types would be best suited for you shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters so keep that in mind as well!
Yes I know that they are sensitive to water parameters, if I don't have any test do you think I should not buy any shrimp? Thanks

New Threads