Mystery Snails Not Moving Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Brayden214S, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Brayden214S

Brayden214SNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have 2 fully cycled 5 gallon tanks with the same problem. Both currently have just 1 mystery snail. Parameters in each are identical, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 20-40ppm nitrate ph 8.2.

Around 3 weeks ago I noticed both snails had become less active and started sitting at the water line. Hoovie, my black mystery snail, has now been floating for about 2 weeks. Jaques, my gold mystery snail, has been lying on the bottom for about a week. Both snails come out of their shells for a little bit every once in a while, and when they do they keep their feet scrunched up.

Neither one will eat no matter how hard I try. Before these behaviors they were very active and I fed them blanched vegetables regularly.

Some noteworthy things that I think could be the cause are: I have recently noticed worms (unsure if detritus or planaria) on the glass, and little green dots swimming around. I also have been having problems keeping nitrates down, so I have been doing daily water changes to keep them around 10ppm, but if I miss a couple days they shoot back up to 20-40!

Any help is greatly appreciated, I really dont want to lose my snails.

2. Canaculus

CanaculusWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Hello,
    Has Hoovie moved at all since he started floating? If he is indeed dead, he'll give off a stench. Could you try smelling him? Also (gently!) try picking at the edge of his operculum. If there is resistance, good news, he's alive. But if the operculum flaps right open, he is unfortunately dead. If he's dead he'll fall right out of the shell.
    Try this for Jaques as well.

3. OP
    OP
    Brayden214S

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    They are both still alive, I had mentioned they come out of their shells every now and then, most recent being yesterday. I floated Jaques and Hoovie in containers of aquarium water and tried to give them some blanched spinach, but they wouldn't eat, though Jaques did come out and get some air. Hoovie was out of his shell and floating before I went to bed and Jaques hasn't moved since I let him out of the container.
    Any other suggestions? They both appear to be sick in some way but the fact that they got sick at the same time is very concerning.

4. Canaculus

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Not sure.
    What do you mean they appear to be sick in some way? Is there something wrong with their actual appearance?

5. OP
    OP
    Brayden214S

Ratings:
    +0
    They both are curling the edges of their foot when they come out of their shells, and neither one will climb the glass or move across the bottom. Hoovie is also excreting a white slime from his foot quite frequently. Maybe their feet are irritated? If so I can't figure out what it would be, since the parameters look good.

6. Canaculus

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Could be. How big are the daily water changes? If possible I'd try to empty as much water as you can.

7. OP
    OP
    Brayden214S

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing 50% water changes daily and conditioning with Prime. I have attached pictures to give you a better idea of the state they are in. I have been trying to feed them daily but neither will eat. 20190826_153328.20190825_101802.20190825_101146.

8. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Poor things! Have you tried air baths? I’ve never done it and I’m not sure what it exactly helps but maybe worth a try? Just see if they’ll walk a few minutes on a wet paper towel. If your parameters are fine then I wouldn’t know what else to do. No salt or copper in your tank?

9. OP
    OP
    Brayden214S

Ratings:
    +0
    I havent tried air baths yet, truth be told I'm scared of the temperature fluctuation that goes with bringing them out of the water. It might be worth a try, I'll do some research on it first. I havent added any salt, and nothing I have put into the tank has any copper in it (In fact, I run the water until I feel the house line is flushed just to avoid it. Wonder if there could be something in my city water that snails don't like?

10. HeatherLouise

HeatherLouiseNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Since they look they are struggling, you may want to completely empty one of the tanks, put in the conditioner (make sure it does both cholorine and cholorimes) and wait a day for water to heat up and then put them both in the empty tank without any substrate or decorations. Make sure the filter is cleaned and the media is completely replaced. This way if there is anything contaminating the tank, your guys will have time to recover before you add anything back into it. I am not an expert though...

I have about 85 blue mystery snails and have had to put them in uncycled tanks many times and they have done fine. My guys/gals love canned green beans, which have a lot of calcium, and are easy for them to digest since they are cooked. Also, add a bit of cuttlefish bone for calcium.

Become a Fishlore Member