Mystery snails mating ???

Silverleaf209

Are these snails mating, or am I just being paranoid?
20220813_125945.jpg
20220813_125957.jpg

StarGirl

If they are stuck together for a bit, and not just traveling over, they are more than likely breeding. Watch out for clutches.

Silverleaf209

If they are stuck together for a bit, and not just traveling over, they are more than likely breeding. Watch out for clutches.
One is a light blue the other is a yellow/gold only the blue one try's to move and he/she is on the bottom of the snail pile.

StarGirl

Yeah they do that. I wouldnt worry much.

Silverleaf209

Yeah they do that. I wouldnt worry much.
Okay, so what are the chances, if they do have eggs of them hatching?

StarGirl

Pretty good. They will have 80-100 snails sometimes. So if you dont want a hoard of snails be aware when they lay.

Silverleaf209

Pretty good. They will have 80-100 snails sometimes. So if you dont want a hoard of snails be aware when they lay.
I have some one who tried everything to get hers to have eggs but they didn't and she said if mine ever had any she would take them if I don't want them, which I don't, because I have zero room for them.

StarGirl

She must have had the same sex I guess. If she wants them that's good. But they lay a LOT of clutches once they get going. Pretty soon she wont want them either. So you will have do figure out what to do after that. ;)

Silverleaf209

She must have had the same sex I guess. If she wants them that's good. But they lay a LOT of clutches once they get going. Pretty soon she wont want them either. So you will have do figure out what to do after that. ;)
Your probably right, I was just talking to her and she said that they tried to have babies but they never laid eggs or the eggs just never hatched.

Fisch

Is the foot of the dark Mystery snail attached to the glass? Then I don't think they are mating. But I may just see it incorrectly.

Silverleaf209

Is the foot of the dark Mystery snail attached to the glass? Then I don't think they are mating. But I may just see it incorrectly.
the yellow one?

Fisch

the yellow one?
on the first attachment I seem to see the foot on the glass and not really mating activity under the 'hood', but I could be wrong.

Gianat

Are these snails mating, or am I just being paranoid?
20220813_125945.jpg
20220813_125957.jpg
Yes, that first picture from the position of the snails indicates mating. With this being said however if you aren't completely sure that you have a female and a male, these could be two males imitating the stance and potentially forming " dud" clutches. Otherwise just keep your eyes peeled within the next acouple of weeks for any clutches. If clutches do start to form, assuming you dont want babies, safely discard the clutch by either crushing it thoroughly, freezing it, or drowing the clutch back into the water.

Justmecb75

Looks like it to me too. But I separated my males and females and the boys still do that to each other. Found three in a bunch like that just today. Star Girl knows her snails. She helped teach me when I started. Like she says, watch for clutches the next few weeks.

Silverleaf209

on the first attachment I seem to see the foot on the glass and not really mating activity under the 'hood', but I could be wrong.
I just bought the yellow one a week ago and my other snails never tried to mate before, so I think I think the other two a females.
Yes, that first picture from the position of the snails indicates mating. With this being said however if you aren't completely sure that you have a female and a male, these could be two males imitating the stance and potentially forming " dud" clutches. Otherwise just keep your eyes peeled within the next acouple of weeks for any clutches. If clutches do start to form, assuming you dont want babies, safely discard the clutch by either crushing it thoroughly, freezing it, or drowing the clutch back into the water.
Okay I will keep a look out for snails!
Looks like it to me too. But I separated my males and females and the boys still do that to each other. Found three in a bunch like that just today. Star Girl knows her snails. She helped teach me when I started. Like she says, watch for clutches the next few weeks.
Thanks!

Thunder_o_b

As you look for clutches keep in mind they lay above the water line.

Attachments

• _MG_7686-Edit copy.0.jpg
    _MG_7686-Edit copy.0.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 3
  • _MG_6447-Edit copy.0.jpg
    _MG_6447-Edit copy.0.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 3

Silverleaf209

As you look for clutches keep in mind they lay above the water line.
Okay, how long until they lay?? I heard it is about two weeks. Thanks!

Thunder_o_b

Okay, how long until they lay?? I heard it is about two weeks. Thanks!
I never really paid it much mind. I had a couple hundred across all our aquariums. Gave many of them away. Then in the span of a week or so they all died. Very strange.

Silverleaf209

I never really paid it much mind. I had a couple hundred across all our aquariums. Gave many of them away. Then in the span of a week or so they all died. Very strange.
hmm . . . . Don't know what when wrong there, I will just keep one eye open at all times then, thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ayeayeron
Replies
Views
gabray47
  • Question
  • BeardedGenz
  • Snails
Replies
Views