Mystery snails layed eggs!!!

Paigefav

Hello!! My snail finally layed a clutch of eggs! So I took a plastic Tupperware and liked some holes in the lid and placed some damp paper towel on the bottom and some dry ones on top and placed the clutch in there and am floating it on top of my tank. What should I be looking for? And is there anything else I should be doing? And when they hatch if I put them in a specimen box will I have to change the water everyday?
Hello!! My snail finally layed a clutch of eggs! So I took a plastic Tupperware and liked some holes in the lid and placed some damp paper towel on the bottom and some dry ones on top and placed the clutch in there and am floating it on top of my tank. What should I be looking for? And is there anything else I should be doing? And when they hatch if I put them in a specimen box will I have to change the water everyday?
Also how can u tell the difference if they are fertile vs. not :)

mattgirl

Hello!! My snail finally layed a clutch of eggs! So I took a plastic Tupperware and liked some holes in the lid and placed some damp paper towel on the bottom and some dry ones on top and placed the clutch in there and am floating it on top of my tank
I would remove the dry paper towel covering the clutch. It is going to get wet over time and could possibly smother the baby snails as they develop.
. What should I be looking for? And is there anything else I should be doing? And when they hatch if I put them in a specimen box will I have to change the water everyday?
Depends on what you mean by specimen box. I put mine in a floating breeder box with a cutting of hornwort in it. No need for water changes since it was floating in my 55 gallon tank.
Also how can u tell the difference if they are fertile vs. not :)
I am not sure about this. I didn't know whether mine was or not since I just had the one snail. She was about the size of a nickle when I first got her. Apparently she had already been with a male before I got her because the clutch of eggs did hatch.

Paigefav

I would remove the dry paper towel covering the clutch. It is going to get wet over time and could possibly smother the baby snails as they develop.

Depends on what you mean by specimen box. I put mine in a floating breeder box with a cutting of hornwort in it. No need for water changes since it was floating in my 55 gallon tank.

I am not sure about this. I didn't know whether mine was or not since I just had the one snail. She was about the size of a nickle when I first got her. Apparently she had already been with a male before I got her because the clutch of eggs did hatch.
No I'm sorry the damp paper towel is on the bottom, the dry one on top of the damp one , and the eggs in top of both of them in the tuperware! And okay I didn't know if the slits on the side would be to large and they would escape throght them. And okay thank!

mattgirl

No I'm sorry the damp paper towel is on the bottom, the dry one on top of the damp one , and the eggs in top of both of them in the tuperware! And okay I didn't know if the slits on the side would be to large and they would escape throght them. And okay thank!
I see what you are saying now. Thankfully the dry paper towel is going to get wet from the condensation. You don't want the eggs sitting on a dry paper towel. It would pull the moisture away from the eggs. You don't want that to happen.

I kept the newly hatched snails in the container for just a couple of days. As soon as they hatched I removed the paper towel and added a couple of inches of water to the container. After that I moved them to the breeder box. Although the newborns as tiny none managed to go through the slits in the breeder box.

This is the one I use Lees THREE-WAY Breeder | Premium Aquatics I've had mine for many years so didn't actually buy it from this seller.

Paigefav

I see what you are saying now. Thankfully the dry paper towel is going to get wet from the condensation. You don't want the eggs sitting on a dry paper towel. It would pull the moisture away from the eggs. You don't want that to happen.

I kept the newly hatched snails in the container for just a couple of days. As soon as they hatched I removed the paper towel and added a couple of inches of water to the container. After that I moved them to the breeder box. Although the newborns as tiny none managed to go through the slits in the breeder box.

This is the one I use Lees THREE-WAY Breeder | Premium Aquatics I've had mine for many years so didn't actually buy it from this seller.
Okay so I should just sit the eggs on a damp paper towel? And okay will they hatch by themselves? Or do I need to do anything?

mattgirl

Okay so I should just sit the eggs on a damp paper towel? And okay will they hatch by themselves? Or do I need to do anything?
Right. You want it wet but don't want the clutch floating in water. They will hatch all by themselves with no help from you. Keep in mind, it can take up to a month for them to hatch so don't get discouraged if it takes that long. I kept mine pretty warm and they hatched in about 2 weeks.

I don't know if it is necessary or not but I opened the container they were in at least once a day. I wiped some of the water off the inside of the lid each time. There was lots of condensation dripping down on the paper towel. Again i don't know if this is necessary at all. I am just passing along how I handled the clutch of eggs that hatched for me.

My main reason for opening the container is to see how the clutch looked. It got to looking pretty ragged over time. By the time the snails started coming out of the eggs the clutch had turned a dark splotchy grey color. I suspect the color you see will depend on the color of the Mom.

Paigefav

Right. You want it wet but don't want the clutch floating in water. They will hatch all by themselves with no help from you. Keep in mind, it can take up to a month for them to hatch so don't get discouraged if it takes that long. I kept mine pretty warm and they hatched in about 2 weeks.

I don't know if it is necessary or not but I opened the container they were in at least once a day. I wiped some of the water off the inside of the lid each time. There was lots of condensation dripping down on the paper towel. Again i don't know if this is necessary at all. I am just passing along how I handled the clutch of eggs that hatched for me.

My main reason for opening the container is to see how the clutch looked. It got to looking pretty ragged over time. By the time the snails started coming out of the eggs the clutch had turned a dark splotchy grey color. I suspect the color you see will depend on the color of the Mom.
Okay I have some holes in the lid is that what I am supposed to do?

mattgirl

Okay I have some holes in the lid is that what I am supposed to do?
Yes it is. Now it is just a matter of time. :)

Paigefav

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TWiG87
  • Ssnaaiil
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views