Mystery Snails Issues

squish123

My wife and I got some last week and one of the snails just stays at the top of the top and never goes to the bottom of the tank or over the glass.
We have tried some things found on the internet but this snail just sits on top and doesn't move. My wife sniffed the snail and it didn't smell and did move some.
Any other ideas?

StarGirl

Snails will go to the top if you have something wrong in your water. Do you know what your parameters are?

It may be trying to lay eggs too.

Marlene327

Is it stuck to the side, or floating? Mine decide to just float for a day or 2 now and then, I have no idea why. They fill their shells with air, but I believe they know full well how to release it. I love when they're at the top, let go and float slowly to the bottom, they can control that. Then a little later you may notice them releasing bubbles.

Usually they lay their eggs at night when it's dark at the very top above the water level, and it takes a couple hours. I doubt that's your issue, you would be able to watch her do it if so and she wouldn't be there so long.

If you just got it, I'd say it's just adjusting to its new world and will be okay. Is there biofilm on the tank to feed on? Just be sure to provide them algae wafers, or veggies like zucchini now and then, and always some kind of protein and calcium.

squish123

It's not stuck. It doesn't move and its' been over 1 week. I heard of air bubbles in the shell but this little fella doesn't ever move and one day he floated to the filter flow and was bouncing up and down. My wife had added algae wafers and calcium strip in the substrate. She has this fella now on a plastic lid with food and it's in water in that lid. Still just sitting there. I don't even see it feelers.

Marlene327

It's not stuck. It doesn't move and its' been over 1 week. I heard of air bubbles in the shell but this little fella doesn't ever move and one day he floated to the filter flow and was bouncing up and down. My wife had added algae wafers and calcium strip in the substrate. She has this fella now on a plastic lid with food and it's in water in that lid. Still just sitting there. I don't even see it feelers.
A week is a long time. I recently had one at the bottom doing that for a week. Hanging out of the shell, thought it was dead. I'd poke it with something and it closed up. Then one day after at least a week, he didn't close up anymore and shrimp were climbing around on him, so he went into a plastic bag, he was gone. It's not unusual to lay around for 2 days, or to bob in the water, but a week is mysterious. Being in another space with an inch or 2 of water could be good, maybe you'll get lucky and he'll start moving around. Then you could feed it while it's there before putting it back.

I don't think there's any definite help at this point, or the perfect reason why. We've probably all had some mysterious behavior.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Davidh9054
Replies
Views