Mystery Snails For Pond

Dingomama
I got a gently used 40 gallon and the substrate in it a couple days ago. There turned out to be dozens and dozens of mystery snails in it. I have a 450 gal pond outside and I'm in zone 7b. There is conflicting info online. Can I put some in there?

maggie thecat
You can. They may not survive the winter, however. But if you were looking for a place to raise them up to trade in size, I would consider it as an option.

Dingomama
You can. They may not survive the winter, however. But if you were looking for a place to raise them up to trade in size, I would consider it as an option.
Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by trade in size?

maggie thecat
If you are going to keep dozens of mystery snails then it isn't relevant. But if you plan on taking them to your local fish store, then they probably want snails that are closer in size to a quarter than a dime. Most LFS only give store credit, hence the use of the phrase "trade in size ".

Dingomama
If you are going to keep dozens of mystery snails then it isn't relevant. But if you plan on taking them to your local fish store, then they probably want snails that are closer in size to a quarter than a dime. Most LFS only give store credit, hence the use of the phrase "trade in size ".

Got it. Thank you!

aussieJJDude
They can breathe air, so I would suggest of not putting them outside so there's no chance they could wander off and become invasive.

Dingomama
They can breathe air, so I would suggest of not putting them outside so there's no chance they could wander off and become invasive.
Hmm. We're not too far from a creek and about 10 miles from a lake, so I'm glad you said that.
After looking into it, some types of mystery snails are native to US. Any idea what kind are in fish stores?
Mine look like Viviparus georgianus, which (as it turns out) are native to my region and state. I wonder how I could verify that. Ideas?

aussieJJDude
Hmm. We're not too far from a creek and about 10 miles from a lake, so I'm glad you said that.
After looking into it, some types of mystery snails are native to US. Any idea what kind are in fish stores?
Mine look like Viviparus georgianus, which (as it turns out) are native to my region and state. I wonder how I could verify that. Ideas?
Maybe consider messaging a university professor that's majored in conchology? They might be able to assist.

Edit: or even malacolgist /aquatic/ marine biologist/ zoologist may be able to help.

wodesorel
Try your state university's extension office, they handle agricultural questions and if they can't answer about the species they should send it over to a professor who can.

I did this two summers ago and found out the land snails on my property were native. It took a few weeks for them to get back to me.

lewrine
I don't think snails will harm your pond but it might affect other fishes there if it has. Snails could populate your pond fast so it's better to check them often or put them in bigger place.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
rainbowsprinkles
Replies
Views
Rabi619
Replies
Views