Mystery snails escape artists?

ej19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I'm thinking about picking up a snail. Wondering if I should be worried about it deciding to leave the tank. I've got a fluval spec v but don't have the plastic lid/cover on top because my heater sticks out.... Also it irritates me. Am I going to have to DIY some kind of cover so I don't find a dried up snail on my floor?

sbdzx

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard before too that mystery snails can crawl out at night. I once had a yellow mystery snail that I kept in a bowl. I guess it crawled out one night, because when I got up, it was on the floor.

Though I'm just an aquarium beginner, probably it would be good to get some sort of cover. It would (a) reduce water evaporation, (b) prevent any water from splashing out and damaging stuff, like if you have wood floors, (c) ensure that any fish you have don't jump out, and (d) let you not worry about the snail escaping.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mystery snails do crawl out of the water but its usually when the female is ready to lay a clutch of eggs. I've had several of them and they only did that at that time.

Nerites are another story. They are constantly climbing out - they also can stay out of the water for several day whereas I don't think a mystery snail can.

If you do decide to go with Mystery's, you probably wouldn't go with any more than 1 since they have a pretty heavy bioload. Besides less likely chance it will climb out ( keep the water low ) if it isn't having babies

New Threads