Mystery snails breeding pair?

Aguasfrescas

I had at first had only one mystery snail who was an Incan gold. Unfortunately I had to euthanize him after he attained pretty severe shell damage from a fall. He was so much fun however, that I decided to buy two more mystery snails thinking two would be double the fun. Now I am worried I may have to make attempts to control a snail population as the two appear to me to be a breeding pair. I haven’t seen what others have described as outright mating and haven’t been able to sex them yet. They are always together and I did catch a pic with one snail on top of the other. Gonna post the pics and see what some more experienced members think.

Attachments

• 76795CEF-D6B5-4B7D-A4C7-194F249AC901.jpeg
    76795CEF-D6B5-4B7D-A4C7-194F249AC901.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 694AB260-A0BC-4CC2-AECD-1A10254080E3.jpeg
    694AB260-A0BC-4CC2-AECD-1A10254080E3.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 969E8DB2-FBAE-4677-BEAF-4CE09951CF39.jpeg
    969E8DB2-FBAE-4677-BEAF-4CE09951CF39.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 17

mimo91088

If they breed and you don't want to raise them, they're incredibly easy to control. They lay their eggs above the water line. Just pluck the cluster off the glass and throw it out.

Upvote 0

richiep

Pic 1 looks like they may be mating, you'll soon know in about 3 weeks , as mimo91088 says very easy to controll so don't worry there

Upvote 0

Aguasfrescas

If they breed and you don't want to raise them, they're incredibly easy to control. They lay their eggs above the water line. Just pluck the cluster off the glass and throw it out.
Ok sweet that’s good news! Will the eggs be readily apparent like unmistakable for a bubble nest or something similar.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

The good thing about mystery snail egg clutches is they are easy to see, remove and discard. By doing this you will not get over run with snails. The clutches will be laid above the water line so should be easy to see.

I allowed one small clutch to hatch and I am now raising 70 snail babies. Had I allowed all the eggs Miss Sneller has laid to hatch I would have well over a thousand of them by now. Now that she has started laying eggs she lays a clutch of them at least twice a week. When I see one I pull it off, wrap it in a paper towel, put it in a ziplock bag and crush it. I then just discard it.

BTW: I just have the one snail. she had to have been with a male before she came to live with me.

Upvote 0

richiep

I can see why it's illegal to sell these in the uk

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I can see why it's illegal to sell these in the uk
I agree. Not everyone will be as careful as I am to make sure no viable eggs are able to survive before I discard them.
Ok sweet that’s good news! Will the eggs be readily apparent like unmistakable for a bubble nest or something similar.
There is no mistaking them for anything other than snail eggs :D

Upvote 0

Aguasfrescas

The good thing about mystery snail egg clutches is they are easy to see, remove and discard. By doing this you will not get over run with snails. The clutches will be laid above the water line so should be easy to see.

I allowed one small clutch to hatch and I am now raising 70 snail babies. Had I allowed all the eggs Miss Sneller has laid to hatch I would have well over a thousand of them by now. Now that she has started laying eggs she lays a clutch of them at least twice a week. When I see one I pull it off, wrap it in a paper towel, put it in a ziplock bag and crush it. I then just discard it.

BTW: I just have the one snail. she had to have been with a male before she came to live with me.
Holy canole that’s a lot. Is 70 a pretty typical amount of hatchlings? Also if anyone has pics of what an egg cluster looks like I would greatly appreciate it. But I’m sure I could also go by an explanation or google it.
I agree. Not everyone will be as careful as I am to make sure no viable eggs are able to survive before I discard them.

There is no mistaking them for anything other than snail eggs :D
okay good as long as they are easy to ID and swipe up without accidentally missing a few I definitely feel better about the situation.

Upvote 0

richiep

No need to Google I'll find some here and tag you

Upvote 0

Aguasfrescas

No need to Google I'll find some here and tag you
Thank you I appreciate it as well as the three week timeline you gave me so I know approximately when to expect them.
Also based on what Mattgirl posted once a female snail has mated they will lay several clutches even if they are no longer mating?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Holy canole that’s a lot. Is 70 a pretty typical amount of hatchlings? Also if anyone has pics of what an egg cluster looks like I would greatly appreciate it. But I’m sure I could also go by an explanation or google it.

okay good as long as they are easy to ID and swipe up without accidentally missing a few I definitely feel better about the situation.
She laid one clutch that probably had at least 250 eggs in it. The first ones she laid were about an inch long. This one was well over 2 inches. The one I allowed to hatch was about an inch. Once I saw how many snails were coming out of the clutch I discarded part of it. Even at that I ended up with 70 of them. I suspect if I had kept all of them there would have been well over 100.

They really are easy to spot. If there is a way for your snail to get out of the tank she may come out to lay them. She has to lay them out of the water. Miss Sneller laid her last clutch on the front of my HOB filter. Your little girl isn't going to just lay a few here and a few there. She may lay more than one clutch at a time but each should be big enough to easily see.

Upvote 0

richiep

There you go from onevof fishlore threads

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-151307_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210512-151307_Chrome.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Aguasfrescas

There you go from onevof fishlore threads
Oh wow lol they definitely stick out like a sore thumb would be pretty hard to miss that! Thanks for the pic.

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

Clutches on my tank (pardon the yellow water; we just put a bunch of new driftwood in for them)

Attachments

• CD9458E6-3B7D-42AF-B9EC-1F49F0B1A5BB.jpeg
    CD9458E6-3B7D-42AF-B9EC-1F49F0B1A5BB.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

hoopyfrood

I have four mystery snails and I am soooo not looking forward to this. I suffer from trypophobia and even just the words ‘egg cluster’ give me the heebie jeebies! :p

Upvote 0

BadhbhCatha

I have four mystery snails and I am soooo not looking forward to this. I suffer from trypophobia and even just the words ‘egg cluster’ give me the heebie jeebies! :p
They are definitely a little weird. They look like those weird fruit beads that they have at Sweetfrog lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Brizburk
Replies
Views
betta06
  • Question
  • ButtercuptheOranda
  • Snails