Mystery Snails/bladder Snails.

Shannon529

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one surviving baby mystery snail that is around pea size in my 10 gallon. I plan on putting my fiance's betta in with it so it's not in a 5 gallon anymore. Awhile ago, I bought some hornwort that came in with bladder snails. I left one in the 5 gallon because I don't overfeed and I wasn't too worried about it breeding. That, and when I wanted to get rid of it, he named it Dumbledore. Well... Dumbledore had babies. Harry and Herminone, apparently. When I insisted on removing them all, he called me Voldemort xD Three turned into 7-8 by the next day, and he said we had the whole Weasley family/Hogwarts. I just redid the mystery snail tank and I don't want to do anything to possibly endanger it. If I just brought over Dumbledore for the fiance, is there any chance of it harming the mystery? Not worried about food source as I tried to put stuff in for Dumbledore at one point and it never seemed to go near it (stuck to some algae on the betta leaf, or the betta flake food when I gave him some flakes). More worried about it possibly being aggressive (though I don't think they are), or some sort of disease.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have mystery snails and fluval plant substrate? I couldn't find my mystery the other night until I looked really close and he was buried in it. I've never seen any of my mysteries do that before. Not sure if one time thing, or if it plans to make it a habit. Do your mystery snails disappear in the substrate or should I be worried? It did get out on it's own, so I'm assuming it's okay, but I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for sticking through my usual novels ranting about my snails xD <3

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahahaha i love the naming!!

Name one severus lol

Personally i like my pest snails, they do their part and i like that they add to the natural look of a tank. Ive put some in a bin and not fed them at all and they STILL breed like crazy, so i question the "dont overfeed" method of controlling their numbers. I just also dont like killing them just because they exist. But what the heck to do with them all lol. A tank just for them is nice. They have their charms

Shannon529

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Man, I told him I wasn't sure if I would keep them all or just the one, and he just started yelling Voldemort at me last night. I just can't even xD I don't want to kill them, either, but I worry about bioload. I try to do a water change once a week, and I worry about having to do more currently because our daughter (one) is at the stage where she has to be... attached... to me or else she's screaming bloody murder. But when I'm dealing with buckets of fish water, it's not so fun xD (or at all, really lol) I suppose I could just do it after she goes to bed. As long as they aren't going to harm my mystery snail in anyway, or they don't get too ridiculous (like whole tank covered, or huge spikes in ammonia, etc). I'm not one to kill them, which is why we are in this spot to begin with lol.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, I told him I wasn't sure if I would keep them all or just the one, and he just started yelling Voldemort at me last night. I just can't even xD I don't want to kill them, either, but I worry about bioload. I try to do a water change once a week, and I worry about having to do more currently because our daughter (one) is at the stage where she has to be... attached... to me or else she's screaming bloody murder. But when I'm dealing with buckets of fish water, it's not so fun xD (or at all, really lol) I suppose I could just do it after she goes to bed. As long as they aren't going to harm my mystery snail in anyway, or they don't get too ridiculous (like whole tank covered, or huge spikes in ammonia, etc). I'm not one to kill them, which is why we are in this spot to begin with lol.
In this case, id be very careful about how much you feed your fish, and perhaps even take your mystery snail out into a smaller tank just to feed on its own and put it back after, just to limit the free food available to the others

Also, weekly water tests if everything seems normal, just as precaution. If you start seeing a problem, tackle the snail population then.

Or, remove some if they get to be too many for your taste and perhaps post them on a site like craigslist or kijiji for someone who may want them, some people keep puffer fish and this is a food source... or simply some people do like them as pets. I like mine, for example.

Alternatively depending what fish you have, you can crush small ones to feed your fish too. When your other half isnt there to scream "Voldemort" at you, that is.

Or, get another tank. Just throw the "extra" snails in there. So your main tank doesnt get overrun, your other tank can be just for the whole harry potter cast

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I let one of my mystery snail egg sacs hatch out and now I have 80 billion snails, so I feel ya. Also feeling you on the toddler situation. I frequently have to do water changes after mine heads to bed. In the mystery tank, I also have other snails, so now there are 5 million snails!!!! I have a hard time killing them just because. Was going to get a pea puffer to take care of the pest snails but they were out when I went, and then my filter failed so now I need to figure out a new filter for that tank. So I guess I'm just here to say that I also have snail problems. Not much support other than that. I have black diamond blasting media and I don't see the snails burying themselves.

Shannon529

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's only buried itself once, I have no idea why. Not sure if it will be a one time thing, or if that's going to be it's personality or what lol. As long as it's not "bad" I guess I won't worry. And I hear ya. I would love to get a puffer but I feel like I would fail it. It'd be the only way I could handle really offing the pest snails because at least their death is going to sustain another, and not just going to trash. I do love snails. And I appreciate the replies from both of you <3 That's support enough!

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I get more attached to my snails as time goes on so if I ever get a puffer it will be hard to feed them to it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom