Mystery Snails at PetSmart

Discussion in 'Snails' started by AllHallowsEve31, Aug 6, 2015.

1. AllHallowsEve31

AllHallowsEve31Valued MemberMember

So I went to Petsmart today, and I saw a tank that must have been a bit larger than 5 gallons, and it had a bunch of glofish, and about 10-15 Gold mystery snails, which I am interested in. But as I watched them for a few minutes, not one of them moved, and two of them were upside down, with their foot visible and no movement. One of the upside down snails was near the edge and still didn't move when I tapped the glass. Is this normal behavior? could they have been dead?

2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

The upside down ones may be dead, they may just be stuck though. Since none of them were moving around try to find one that's stuck to the glass at least, they may just be unhappy with their current water quality and will perk back up. As long as their trapdoor closes when poked they're alive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

@Bijou88 might have an idea. :)

EDIT: Never mind, she ninja'd me lol.

4. Fishfrommany

FishfrommanyNew MemberMember

Pet Smart tends to not take the dead animals out right away, I don't know why, I always tell them and they shrug their shoulders and say okay. Most likely dead.

5. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

I just don't see the point of having multiple workers in the a pet store and not having someone monitor over the lives of these animals :/

6. Fishfrommany

FishfrommanyNew MemberMember

Same with the baby bettas, so many dead :(

7. Bijou88

One of our petsmart stores is that way :/, the other one is really good though so it really seems to depend on the staff.

The problem with snails is that they often appear dead when they're not, when they're unhappy they either seal up tight and sort of seem to hibernate, or they lay there half in/half out of their shells. They usually recover if their water quality is fixed. If you can find a few whose trap doors close when touched, i say get them, think of it as a rescue mission, lol. :)

8. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

lol I was going to get one for a 10 gallon, but now I think ill get two, considering those conditions.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

okay, so I got a Blue mystery snail who seemed to be alive, and the worker even did a smell test, but when I put it in my tank it doesn't seem to be moving, and looks like this:
    IMG_3486.jpg is it alive?

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Looks like it's upside down. Flip him over so his foot and the opening in his shell are towards the gravel.

11. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

Done! looks like he did tuck in a bit when i did that, I wasn't sure if I should touch him before as I didn't want to frighten it, but also there is a small piece of gravel caught between his foot and inner shell. Should I try to remove it or just leave it be?

12. TexasDomer

I'd leave him be. He can work the gravel out if it's bothering him :) Pretty snail though! The blue is beautiful.

13. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

Thanks! :) I love the color. I also want to get a gold one.

14. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

Sorry to bother, but should I try to feed it, or still wait until tomorrow?

15. TexasDomer

You could try still :)

16. Bijou88

It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and put a fresh veggie in there in case it decides to eat. Just let it be for a while, they can take a bit to settle in and decide they're not being eaten, lol.

17. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

Just to update, I went to a different local petstore and absolutely had to get a golden mystery snail, So, as soon as I did a water change and placed him in, he started moving immediately and ate half an algae wafer! And then my blue snail started moving its tentacle slightly! lol These things are so cool :p

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  18. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

So, my blue snail crawled on top of my filter right above the sponge pre-filter, Maybe he is still scared, but I am afraid that he isn't eating. Yesterday when I tried to feed him, my golden snail ate it instead :/,s so he didn't eat yesterday, or today. Is he okay? should I try to pry him off?

19. Bijou88

Is he out of the water?

20. OP
    OP
    AllHallowsEve31

No, he is still under water