Mystery snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by MatthewM, Jul 22, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

It's just a tad but open, but floating, is it dead?

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Pick it up and give it a sniff. If it is dead it will smell really bad ,if not than maybe it is taking a nap or resting. I have never smelt one but it is supposed to smell like rotten fish or rotten eggs. they may also close the door shut if you pick them up. Good luck and keep us posted. Alison

3. g

gypsy32 Valued Member Member

I found with my mystery snails, if you pick them up & gently poke their door, if it contracts then they are alive if it doesn't shut or move then they are dead, i had one of mine die yesterday, it had only laid an egg sack a few hours earlier, so that was a mystery as to why it died

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. aliray

Sorry you lost your snail. Alison

5. g

gypsy32 Valued Member Member

Thanks aliray

when i picked it up i noticed that its shell was sooo thin, almost see through where the other mystery snails in the tank have a nice thick yellow shell, so i am going to have to research why that happened so it doesn't happen to the other snails

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. aliray

Was it an older snail or are they all about the same age. Alison

7. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

try feeding zucchini or adding cuttlefish bone to the tank for calcium to help with the shell thickness. if it was dead check the water parameters. they normally float to "go downstream" if they don't like the water conditions.

8. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

It is moving around a lot when i got back today from the oshkosh airshow. I have just never seem it float before. Although it was right after i dosed flourish, excel, iron, and potassium, so thats probably what it didnt like.

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

They float sometimes for no apparent reason too, they're just weird that way. I catch some of mine doing it every once in a while. I agree, he may not have been terribly happy with all the additions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

11. aliray

12. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

I do have a cuttlebone floating on top. It's starting to sink a little

13. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, sometimes it takes awhile for it to sink. You can also tie it to a rock and place it in the back or something if you don't like looking at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice