Mystery snail

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's just a tad but open, but floating, is it dead?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pick it up and give it a sniff. If it is dead it will smell really bad ,if not than maybe it is taking a nap or resting. I have never smelt one but it is supposed to smell like rotten fish or rotten eggs. they may also close the door shut if you pick them up. Good luck and keep us posted. Alison

gypsy32

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found with my mystery snails, if you pick them up & gently poke their door, if it contracts then they are alive if it doesn't shut or move then they are dead, i had one of mine die yesterday, it had only laid an egg sack a few hours earlier, so that was a mystery as to why it died

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gypsy32 said:
I found with my mystery snails, if you pick them up & gently poke their door, if it contracts then they are alive if it doesn't shut or move then they are dead, i had one of mine die yesterday, it had only laid an egg sack a few hours earlier, so that was a mystery as to why it died

Sorry you lost your snail. Alison

gypsy32

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks aliray

when i picked it up i noticed that its shell was sooo thin, almost see through where the other mystery snails in the tank have a nice thick yellow shell, so i am going to have to research why that happened so it doesn't happen to the other snails

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Was it an older snail or are they all about the same age. Alison

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
try feeding zucchini or adding cuttlefish bone to the tank for calcium to help with the shell thickness. if it was dead check the water parameters. they normally float to "go downstream" if they don't like the water conditions.

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is moving around a lot when i got back today from the oshkosh airshow. I have just never seem it float before. Although it was right after i dosed flourish, excel, iron, and potassium, so thats probably what it didnt like.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They float sometimes for no apparent reason too, they're just weird that way. I catch some of mine doing it every once in a while. I agree, he may not have been terribly happy with all the additions.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Floating = Parasnailing...

I add egg shells to a filter media bag and hide it in my filter or aquarium for additional calcium. I replace the shells as they fade away every couple of months. Works for me and my Nerite Snails.

Link of interest:

Ken

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquarist said:
Floating = Parasnailing...

I add egg shells to a filter media bag and hide it in my filter or aquarium for additional calcium. I replace the shells as they fade away every couple of months. Works for me and my Nerite Snails.

Link of interest:

Ken
Thanks for the link. that video and the pictures were really neat. Alison

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do have a cuttlebone floating on top. It's starting to sink a little

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, sometimes it takes awhile for it to sink. You can also tie it to a rock and place it in the back or something if you don't like looking at it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads