Mystery snail with large black spot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Robin 57, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Robin 57New MemberMember

Hello, new here. I have had two mystery snails in a planted 20 gallon with fish. First platies fry, now 5 rainbow fish, 3 neon tetra and 1 platy. I got both snails at the same time. They grew well and all was fine. One day I noticed a rather large black, brownish spot on one of the snails. I had noticed that for two days prior she had been hugging the heater. In time, the spot turned brown and looked flaky like old bark on a tree. It looked like a spot in the middle of the brown was turning a lighter colour so I thought the snail might be fixing it but that was the only part that looked more normal. I moved the two snails into a 10 gallon with another mystery snail and a ramshorn. The one with the spot has slowed noticeably in growth and now the shell is starting to disintegrate. I had a cuttlebone in the 20 gallon and there was all different kinds of algea growing in there, brown, black, green, angel hair. I also fed them carrots and algea wafers. In the 10 gallon, I have been feeding them broccoli and zucchini since July 8. I have looked everywhere and cannot get any info on a black spot that does this. Help?

2. Witchydesign

WitchydesignWell Known MemberMember

Can you get a picture of it? You can also add liquid calcium to the water. It might help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice