Mystery snail trap door is peeling away. Please help.

Sirvana

Reaction score
I've had my mystery snail for a year and half now. She seems to be healthy, laying eggs, all her color looks good. But her trap door is breaking in the rings of it and her body is exposed when shut. I'm worried that this is going to kill her. She has calcium in the tank in form of cuttlefish bone and I'm picking up liquid calcium in the morning.
I just cleaned her tank and took out the other fish that were in there with her.
Is there any else I can do for her?

brondo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Clean water and calcium is all you can do really. Breakages or loss of the operculum will not kill her. It is what keeps them safe from predation. But it does indicate that something is amiss. How is the rest of the shell? Is it pitted? We have soft water here so I have to add things to up the calcium & mineral content or mine will start to have shell deformations and sometimes problems with the operculum as well.
Unfortunately like Pwilly07 said, 1-2 years is the normal life expectancy so it is likely old age. For it to make it this long, I imagine your water parameters are good.

OP
S

Sirvana

Reaction score
She seems to be doing better now just looks uncomfortable when door is closed because her body comes through.
I have cuttle fish bones in the tank. Her shell is a bit pitted. I thought it got all skidded up from the decor she liked to go under, so I removed it. I read i could fix it with nail polish or super glue but I don't feel comfortable doing so.
I think it was the water conditions, as I had her with a school of tetras and their flakes are the worst and dirty up the tank quickly. So I have removed them. Also, she is getting old, I'm coming to terms with this possibly being the end for her.

New Threads