Help Mystery snail stuck please help?!

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went to the LFS to get some food and got a few mystery snails. Two ivory and one gold. When the woman was getting the snails I saw her pushing on their traps... Never seen that before and not sure if she was checking to see they were alive or trying to push it closed in case they were dead. Two are roaming around the bag now the larger ivory is still pushed about 1/2 an inch in its shell. Is this normal or is it possibly stuck? And if it’s stuck how do I help? Been like that for 40+ minutes.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's not stuck so don't worry about that. The employee was probably pushing on the doors to make sure they are alive. You should do a smell check on the one, gently push on the door and take a sniff. Stinky means a dead snail.

If it doesn't stink then just leave it be for a day. If it doesn't move by then it may not be in the best of shape and may die later on. Just wait and see though. Be sure to feed the other well as mystery snails need a good diet or they are prone to starving. Protein should make up a part of their diet, I feed frozen green beans, shrimp pellets, algae wafers and all sorts of fresh veggies.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've seen pet store employees do this while saying "come on bud, shut your door" I think some are trained to do this, most likely thinking it prevents damage to the snails soft body parts during transport. I've never seen a snail get hurt from this, but I guess it depends if the person knows what they're doing or not. It's probably possible to hurt the snail if they press too hard or force them closed. I don't think he would get stuck though, and if he did I don't know any way you could help him without causing more damage. I've had healthy snails stay in the shell for days before venturing out to explore their new tank. Hopefully he's just a shy guy

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Demeter and EmbersToAshes thank you, I was really worried. It does not smell bad so it’s probably just hiding. (I’m just in love with mystery’s but I’ve never had any of mine clamp like this so I didn’t know what to do). :)

New Threads