Mystery snail sizes, why are some still so tiny?

Mindy3

I had two clutches that were poorly fertilized. First time hatching btw. Many hatched in the main tank before I removed the clutches and hatched the remainder in a breeder box. Some def got eaten (we saw a shrimp grab and eat one off of the glass one morning and I was able to suction out 7-9 over a few days). I think between the two there were initially 30ish live babies. That is down to about 12-13 now. Don’t know why so many didn’t make it. Anyway, of the remaining 12-13 the sizes are insanely different! Some look like they stopped growing weeks ago while about half have gotten nearly big enough to move to the main tank. Will those smaller ones just always be small? Or is just widely varying rates of growth? Also is it strange that they are all entirely golden when dad was not gold? The fish shop thinks dad is a purple/gold mix and that gold must be dominant. The ivories he said are likely just albino goldens. Oh and the two clutches were laid about 6 days apart.

Attachments

• 17339A4C-7714-4C51-8B3C-3D397A4C4318.jpeg
    17339A4C-7714-4C51-8B3C-3D397A4C4318.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 0A18BDFE-16E4-4367-A86F-275F79F933FE.jpeg
    0A18BDFE-16E4-4367-A86F-275F79F933FE.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 4C9F87D3-13DA-4B30-B77C-E676F1A0DF4C.jpeg
    4C9F87D3-13DA-4B30-B77C-E676F1A0DF4C.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 14

BigManAquatics

As far as babies not making it....thats why most water critters have a lot of babies, they are not all meant to survive. Size though, could just be as simple as some of them not so quick to the food as others.

mattgirl

What are you feeding them? When i allowed one clutch to hatch I ended up with 70 babies. I think the most important thing they need to grow quickly is a lot of good food. They also need it available constantly. If you want to follow my journey about raising a clutch of mystery snails you may want to read this thread Miss Sneller Layed Eggs | Snails Forum | 493131

Once mine hatched I put them in a breeder box with a bit of guppy grass in it. I kept food in there for them almost constantly. The main food was algae wafers but they also got fresh zucchini.

Once they got big enough to come out of the breeder box I put them in a 5.5 gallon tank that only had a tiny pleco and a few rabbit snails in it. Again I kept food available for them almost constantly. As they grew I removed the biggest ones so the smaller ones would not get pushed away from the food. Out of the 70 at least 40 of them survived and are now just about full grown. Some just didn't grow even as big as a pea and then didn't survive.

Mindy3

What are you feeding them? When i allowed one clutch to hatch I ended up with 70 babies. I think the most important thing they need to grow quickly is a lot of good food. They also need it available constantly. If you want to follow my journey about raising a clutch of mystery snails you may want to read this thread Miss Sneller Layed Eggs | Snails Forum | 493131

Once mine hatched I put them in a breeder box with a bit of guppy grass in it. I kept food in there for them almost constantly. The main food was algae wafers but they also got fresh zucchini.

Once they got big enough to come out of the breeder box I put them in a 5.5 gallon tank that only had a tiny pleco and a few rabbit snails in it. Again I kept food available for them almost constantly. As they grew I removed the biggest ones so the smaller ones would not get pushed away from the food. Out of the 70 at least 40 of them survived and are now just about full grown. Some just didn't grow even as big as a pea and then didn't survive.
I do keep food in contanstly. Maybe I should put food on opposite sides of the breeder box? They get snail pellets and lettuce or Brussels sprouts but I pretty much always make sure they have a pellet in there. I tried putting one of the larger ones in my 8.5 gallon but the tetra and guppies immediately started harassing it so we think they need to be even bigger than the biggest one is right now to end safe in there. I hope the little ones can make it. Some of them are still only the size of like a sewing needle pinhead.

mattgirl

The algae wafers I fed my babies were the Hikari mini algae wafers. I usually scattered them across the bottom of the breeder box. Since I had so many snails in there I usually put at least 6 of them in each time. By scattering the wafers out everyone was able to get their fill. When I fed zucchini I put several small pieces in there for them. Again scattered out so all would have to chance to get their fill.

How old are the tiny ones? Mine grew quickly but I have to assume it isn't the same for everyone. Another member I was talking to on my Miss Sneller thread had some that were hatched before mine and it seems mine were growing much faster.

Mindy3

The algae wafers I fed my babies were the Hikari mini algae wafers. I usually scattered them across the bottom of the breeder box. Since I had so many snails in there I usually put at least 6 of them in each time. By scattering the wafers out everyone was able to get their fill. When I fed zucchini I put several small pieces in there for them. Again scattered out so all would have to chance to get their fill.

How old are the tiny ones? Mine grew quickly but I have to assume it isn't the same for everyone. Another member I was talking to on my Miss Sneller thread had some that were hatched before mine and it seems mine were growing much faster.
I think the clutches hatched around august 8 and then about august 18.

mattgirl

I think the clutches hatched around august 8 and then about august 18.
Oh my goodness. I agree they should be much bigger than they are by now. Since you are keeping food in for them I really don't know why they aren't growing. Do you have any kind of live plants in your tanks? If so can you put some in the breeder net with them. The tiny ones will find food on the plants.

Mindy3

They have a floating anubia? In there. It’s been in there for about a week and a half. I’ll try putting more food around in there so they can get away from the bigger ones more easily! Thank you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Debbie1986
  • Question
Replies
Views
shrimpyay
  • BenjiBear
  • Snails
Replies
Views