Mystery Snail Shell Question

SydneyLynn

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank that houses 4 Amano shrimp, 2 mystery snails, and 1 nerite snail. I recently added the shrimp to my tank and have since been adding in a calcium supplement to the water to help with their molting process, and I know this should also help the snails’ shells too. I’ve been noticing a difference in the black mystery snails shell though, it looks thinner and whiter, almost opaque and see through. Is his shell growing too fast? Should I stop adding in the calcium? (I never add it a lot, just a squirt when I do water changes.) His antennae are also starting to look a little frayed at the ends.. I always check my water perameters, am sure to feed them enough during the week with veggies and snail jello, but this is still happening?! Help! I want to resolve the problem so he can live a happy snail life. Below is a picture so you can see the difference in his shells markings (I also don't know why there seem to be jagged lines in his shell, but I think it’s because he will usually glide off of the wall and hit the gravel). What should I do?!

Attachments

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would use zoomeds calcium block, not only does it add calcium it’s a food for the shrimp. I think there’s not enough calcium from all the shrimp and snails

OP
S

SydneyLynn

Reaction score
I use the liquid calcium I got from Petsmart and there are some in the snail jello I gave them. You think not enough calcium??

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pitting is where the shell starts to break down “pitting” inward, having snails and shrimp in the tank requires a lot of calcium. Have you tested your levels to be dosing?

OP
S

SydneyLynn

Reaction score
I test the water parameters every few weeks but I don’t have a kit to test the calcium. I maintain the ph at around 7.5-8 and make sure to give 5 ml of calcium supplement every water change. This is the type I have, API marine calcium, should put more in the take per water change?
IMG_0562.JPG

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So when you add calcium we start with 5ml then as time goes on it gets used up so maybe by day 2 or 3 you might have 2-3ml left. I would suggest dosing twice a week every 3 days

New Threads