Mystery Snail Shell Is Broken!

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is my mystery snail, Lady Laz (as im Lazarus). Named so because the pet store manager gave her and another snail to me for free because he thought they were dead since they hadn't moved in days. They stayed still for 3 days in my tank before they finally came out!

But now, Lady has gotten out through the hole where the heater was, and had a nasty fall and broke the tip of her shell. Is it bad enough that it needs repairs or will it heal on its own? If so, what are some suggestions to help her feel more comfortable and speed up her healing process?

She's currently in a 6.5 gallon tank with 2 albino cory cats, one other mystery snail, and a crowntail betta.

1525586214116.jpg

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can see her foot, id recommend trying to repair it yourself. Best way ive seen is to take old shell pieces and cover the hole as best as possible, then using finger nail polish to paint over the area. You can find some step by step instructions online.

Suggestions... make sure the fish dont freak her out too much and that she has food redily availible. Honestly though if you help her fix her shell she should be back to normal in no time.

You also have some stocking issues if you want to discuss them

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have no idea where the shell pieces are, she wasnt near them when I found her. Is there anything else I can use? Ive heard of maybe an egg membrane?

Also yes, I'm new to fish so if I'm doing something wrong please tell me! I'm trying to learn all the time!

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChristaCat said:
I have no idea where the shell pieces are, she wasnt near them when I found her. Is there anything else I can use? Ive heard of maybe an egg membrane?

Also yes, I'm new to fish so if I'm doing something wrong please tell me! I'm trying to learn all the time!
Yes eggs could be a good substitute i suppose... never tried that lol. Tell me how it works if you use it

Specifically I am concerned for your cories... they tend to be very active so prefer tanks of 20g+. They also prefer large groups of their own species (i aim for 8+). Lastly... because they are so active and confined in a smaller space, they may stress out your betta (varies from betta to betta though) and/or your betta might attack your cories.
I mean, there is nothing urgent or even necesary to change about your setup if its working, but just to prevent future issues and improve quality of life thats what i woulf recommend.

Also it just occurred to me... if your snail climed out she may be looking for a spot to may an egg clutch. If you could liwer the water level and cimpletelt cover the tank (to make sure she doesnt climb iut again but also to keep high humidity) it will encourage her to lay the eggs in a more suitable lication than the floor

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
fjh said:
Yes eggs could be a good substitute i suppose... never tried that lol. Tell me how it works if you use it

Specifically I am concerned for your cories... they tend to be very active so prefer tanks of 20g+. They also prefer large groups of their own species (i aim for 8+). Lastly... because they are so active and confined in a smaller space, they may stress out your betta (varies from betta to betta though) and/or your betta might attack your cories.
I mean, there is nothing urgent or even necesary to change about your setup if its working, but just to prevent future issues and improve quality of life thats what i woulf recommend.

Also it just occurred to me... if your snail climed out she may be looking for a spot to may an egg clutch. If you could liwer the water level and cimpletelt cover the tank (to make sure she doesnt climb iut again but also to keep high humidity) it will encourage her to lay the eggs in a more suitable lication than the floor
Ok, I was just thinking the other fish might try to eat it or something? I dont know. I'll try it out!

Oh, Ive heard a lot about how cories can be kept in groups of 3 or 4 but I also see many people say 6-8 is the minimun. I got 3 originally, named Ed, Edd, and Eddy, but one of them actually passed away this morning. I have no idea why, honestly. Like I said I'm new to fish.

The lady at the pet store tried to discourage me from getting even 3, telling me one would be fine but I knew that most likely wasnt true. I think they seem a little shy and reclusive but not too much. They swim along the bottom of the whole tank together and dart around in the open water often as well, though they seem a little scared of my betta Percy, they do have plenty of hiding places. And my Betta doesnt even acknowledge them, really. He seems like he could care less about them being there.

So, it would be better if there were more cories in my tank? How many should there be without overstocking?

Also yes I was thinking that! She may be ready to lay eggs. So, I dont mind snails at all, I love them, but will my tank be overrun with them? Like, in a bad way? Do you think the fish will eat them? Or should I not let them hatch and get rid of the eggs?

Sorry I have so many questions!

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChristaCat said:
Ok, I was just thinking the other fish might try to eat it or something? I dont know. I'll try it out!

Oh, Ive heard a lot about how cories can be kept in groups of 3 or 4 but I also see many people say 6-8 is the minimun. I got 3 originally, named Ed, Edd, and Eddy, but one of them actually passed away this morning. I have no idea why, honestly. Like I said I'm new to fish.

The lady at the pet store tried to discourage me from getting even 3, telling me one would be fine but I knew that most likely wasnt true. I think they seem a little shy and reclusive but not too much. They swim along the bottom of the whole tank together and dart around in the open water often as well, though they seem a little scared of my betta Percy, they do have plenty of hiding places. And my Betta doesnt even acknowledge them, really. He seems like he could care less about them being there.

So, it would be better if there were more cories in my tank? How many should there be without overstocking?

Also yes I was thinking that! She may be ready to lay eggs. So, I dont mind snails at all, I love them, but will my tank be overrun with them? Like, in a bad way? Do you think the fish will eat them? Or should I not let them hatch and get rid of the eggs?

Sorry I have so many questions!
Well unless you get a larger tank, i wouldnt put any more fish or snails in there. In the future if you set up another tank ir upgrade your current one, then you should definitely move the cories and get more.

The nice thing about mystery snails is their eggs are easy to remove. I wouldnt hatch them unless you want 100s of little babies. You could take tye egg sack and mush it up and feed it to your fish. My shrimp especially love eating them, but cories well too so ling as it isnt hard.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Typically, all new shell growth happens at the front of the shell, so anything old doesn't really regrow. As to egg clutches for mysteries, they're very obvious and easy to remove. Some people think they're gross, I think they looks sort of like unripe blackberries (shape and size). I've never heard of using nail polish to patch, usually superglue or silicone, you just have to make sure nothing touches the body of the snail.

Also, welcome to the forum and the addiction!

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Bithimala said:
Typically, all new shell growth happens at the front of the shell, so anything old doesn't really regrow. As to egg clutches for mysteries, they're very obvious and easy to remove. Some people think they're gross, I think they looks sort of like unripe blackberries (shape and size). I've never heard of using nail polish to patch, usually superglue or silicone, you just have to make sure nothing touches the body of the snail.

Thank you very much!

So, if it won't regrow, what should I do?

I used the membrane from an egg and layered it on the injured area then used an extremely small amount of clear nail polish only on the edges to glue it down, making sure that none of it got on the area over the fleshy bits. Even though the egg membrane is over it, I was afriad it would still hurt her. I did this last night and Im at work right now but before I left, the patch looked a bit pinkish, only slightly, and I didnt get a picture of it since I headed out the door for work.

When I got the other one from the pet store it had a chip in the front of the shell and Ive had him a month and I'm just now seeing it grow back. I know her shell will take a long time if his small frontal crack took over a month to even start repairing itself.

Does this look good for now? And what do you think about the pinkish tint? I'll upload a pic when I get home tonight.
20180506_022524.jpg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks good to me. Usually if the injury isn't too serious the area exposed to water/air will calcify and become hard and white, creating a protective barrier.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Demeter said:
Looks good to me. Usually if the injury isn't too serious the area exposed to water/air will calcify and become hard and white, creating a protective barrier.
Does it look like a serious injury though?

I just came home from work and checked on her.

This is the pinkish color I was talking about.

She is also not very responsive at all, she is usually very active and never stays in her shell. She comes out and tries to crawl all over my hands and loves to explore..

But right now she is kind of slumped out of her shell and barely moving...
1525675552621.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bithimala said:

Truth. Addictive indeed!

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You did everything you could do, but I don't reccomend getting another in that tank. They actually have pretty high ammonia outputs, my 10g is coping with 1 and a betta but I can't add any more. You can try making a mesh cover and clipping it over the hole it got out through so the other won't explore too. Just make a hard mesh circle with a slit in the side to stick a paper clip through and use some glue tack to hold it against the hole.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m so sorry.
You tried. Bless you for loving your shellbaby enough to try.

ChristaCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I appreciate it. She had so much personality and was so lovable, id be hard pressed to find another snail like her.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After Fred and Barney, I’ve never even wanted another apple snail. Just wouldn’t be the same. Get so attached you know?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom