Mystery snail shell black and pitting

• Thread starter joeyxl
  • Start date

joeyxl

So I have. Gold mystery snail that I've had for some time. It likes to float around alot and sometimes will sink and crawl around. Recently it's been just floating around for days and days and has been getting a shell that is pitting and turning black. I have not added calcium to the tank which I'm assuming is one of the issues or the root issue, but it turning black is one I can't find info on. What is going on?

IMG_20200812_163724412.jpg

Madchild57

joeyxl said:
So I have. Gold mystery snail that I've had for some time. It likes to float around alot and sometimes will sink and crawl around. Recently it's been just floating around for days and days and has been getting a shell that is pitting and turning black. I have not added calcium to the tank which I'm assuming is one of the issues or the root issue, but it turning black is one I can't find info on. What is going on?

IMG_20200812_163724412.jpg
What do you mean by a long time? They only live about a year. I have my original nerite for a year who is slowing down and getting pits in his shell.

joeyxl

Madchild57 said:
What do you mean by a long time? They only live about a year. I have my original nerite for a year who is slowing down and getting pits in his shell.
sorry i was not clear, i got him at this size and its been about 5-6 months. is the shell and the extended time of floating a sign of old age?

Lucas35

Floating is normal but not for days. It looks like your snails has a calcium deficiency and the shell is so thin you can see the dark insides. I would make sure the pH is above 7.0 to stop further deterioration and get it a cuttlebone.

joeyxl

Lucas35 said:
Floating is normal but not for days. It looks like your snails has a calcium deficiency and the shell is so thin you can see the dark insides. I would make sure the pH is above 7.0 to stop further deterioration and get it a cuttlebone.
alright i will test the PH and also order a peice of cuttlebone. as ive read, its best to break it in half, and put one peice in the filter and the other in gravel? could i just put the whole thing in the gravel? my filter is quite full of bio media.

joeyxl

UPDATE: the snail has sunk, but is sitting on the bottom open a bit with the antenna curled up as well as its foot. seems to be a slight discharge as well. ive poked it and it does go back into its shell, but it does not look well. other than it possibly sick, does this happen with old age as well (reading the care sheet it seems likely)

Top Bottom