Mystery Snail Reproduction Question, Curious

1. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Ok, so for the past several weeks, I have seen various mystery snails mating in my tanks. Mostly with the same partner, sometimes with another...I'm not judging LOL... BUT I keep the water line at the black plastic piece at the top of the tank, so not much room to go out of the water to lay any eggs. My question is, with all this mating going on, what happens to the females biologically if they decide that the water level is too high for them to go up and lay their eggs? Or will they simply find a spot they think is high enough above the water level and go ahead and lay (like on the glass over the bulb..or scary thought-outside of the tank)? My oldest tank has slightly more than 1" between the water level and the tank lid, my newer tank has 5/8" (wow, just had to measure and they don't make them like they used to, do they???). From what I've seen neither tank has enough headroom for the snails to lay their eggs. Will it harm them to mate all the time but not be able to lay any eggs? I wouldn't mind baby mystery snails, but don't have to have them for me. My concern is about the health of the snails...and what I might need to be aware of.

2. jlm418 Member Member

My experience they will lay them as high as they can. Even with water to the top basically

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Mine have laid eggs on the bottom of the glass lid. They will find a suitable place!

4. Justinokay Member Member

Most snails lay their eggs at the water level or above

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Keeping the water that high should be fine. They'll just lay them on the lid as Texas mentioned ime.

6. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I wouldn't want anything physically to happen to them if the females were full of eggs but had no place appropriate to lay them. I could lower the water level (but would prefer not to though), and it's really nice to know that I don't have to.

7. Aliceisalive Initiate Member

My female Mystery Snail is strange.... She will ONLY lay her eggs in the tank with a domed fully enclosed lid opposed to her tank which has a water to lid range of about an inch. Maybe she's just a picky girl? I decided to space it 3 weeks at a time... Put her in the fully domed tank every three weeks and sure enough the next morning I had a clutch of eggs waiting for me all three times.

Teased my boyfriend that I had trained my snail to lay eggs :p