10 Gallon Tank Mystery snail overpopulation questions

aetheli

questions below feel free to skip

so months ago (april or may) a snail clutch hatched in my tank while i was away from home shortly, and in these few months i've just been trying to raise these baby snails (i expected most of them not to make it too far anyway just because... it's a snail clutch.) well. i figured the short lifespan would mean they would mature quickly so once they were grown i could just give them away....

well now, i would only consider some of these really even semi-grown. and despite being around from the same clutch their mass is completely scattered with some of them being huge in comparison and others still being very tiny.

not just that, but also with them growing so slowly, and there being such a big remainder, these things are SO. HUNGRY.

i overfed about 5 huge cucumber slices once thinking i'll just find out the limits, and after waking up the next morning all that was left were tiny fragments of cucumber skin. and they've started rapidly consuming a massive chunk of my duckweed, which isn't a complaint but they are serious over-consumers.

i'll probably need to do an entire tank cleaning/rotation because i have no idea how much greedier these ravenous beings of raw gluttonous insatiability will become.

anyway, a few questions;
i'll take any answer for any of them

1. how often/what amount should i be water changing??? 50%? daily?

2. should i just try to set up some container/makeshift tank to put them/half of them in instead?? to be safe? or is that worse?

3. is the bioload dangerously too much with this amount (i think ~30-50 snails)? i've noticed my shrimps have seemed entirely content the whole way through but i'm concerned they might/will be harmed from the increasing waste

4. how long is it going to take on average for them to mature? it's been months and it seems like they're still far from maturity

5. maybe not fully related- is there a specific maturity that warrants selling/giving away the snails? i didn't want to give them away fragile and tiny but oh my god i just want them reach adulthood so i can boot them all out

pics attached, shrimp for scale

Attachments

• AA900FEE-8A8D-4EFB-A9A9-C684F19CFC20.jpeg
    AA900FEE-8A8D-4EFB-A9A9-C684F19CFC20.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 3974ED7E-5BCF-4172-9935-4CB0B8F193B6.jpeg
    3974ED7E-5BCF-4172-9935-4CB0B8F193B6.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CD74B3FF-62F0-4A20-A1BB-A57B588A7B85.jpeg
    CD74B3FF-62F0-4A20-A1BB-A57B588A7B85.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 433A6BBD-A9F1-49C9-AA63-A396DA7FA887.jpeg
    433A6BBD-A9F1-49C9-AA63-A396DA7FA887.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 8

V1K

You should test your water to determine the frequency and volume of your water changes. If the nitrates are high, keep changing until you get them down, and then monitor their rise to find out when you need the next water change. If the nitrates are within reason, just keep doing what you're doing.

I don't think there's a size limit for giving away snails. I'd probably wouldn't give away anything smaller than a pea, that's all. Now for sale you may want to grow them out a bit more, maybe to the size of a small coin.

I think you should start giving/selling away the bigger ones.

The reason for their slow growth is probably not enough food for everyone. In order to be able to feed more without the risk of fouling the water, splitting the population sounds like a reasonable move. Make sure to transfer the nitrogen cycle to the new container - rinse a filter sponge in the new tank, add some old gravel.

aetheli

You should test your water to determine the frequency and volume of your water changes. If the nitrates are high, keep changing until you get them down, and then monitor their rise to find out when you need the next water change. If the nitrates are within reason, just keep doing what you're doing.

I don't think there's a size limit for giving away snails. I'd probably wouldn't give away anything smaller than a pea, that's all. Now for sale you may want to grow them out a bit more, maybe to the size of a small coin.

I think you should start giving/selling away the bigger ones.

The reason for their slow growth is probably not enough food for everyone. In order to be able to feed more without the risk of fouling the water, splitting the population sounds like a reasonable move. Make sure to transfer the nitrogen cycle to the new container - rinse a filter sponge in the new tank, add some old gravel.
thank you so much for the advice !
the slow growth in particular makes a lot of sense. i think ive been underfeeding some days in worry of crashing the water quality and that would check in with how slowly they are growing but also the size scattering what with how fast the bigger ones are to gobble them up before all of the tiny ones get a chance. i think i might try to split it as you said.
appreciate it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Trekker1125
  • Snails
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • AllHallowsEve31
  • Snails
Replies
Views
ETNsilverstar