Mystery Snail... overbreeding?

Trekker1125

I've seen conflicting information on this. Is it possible for females to be overbred by a male that mounts them multiple times per day? Will it stress them out and potentially lead to death? Should I remove the male periodically to allow the females to rest and have some peace? My females have become less active and often try to close up when mounted, while the single male continues to surf around from female to female all day.

richiep

I believe an over active male will certainly stress the female out with the result she closes up, stops feeding and in certain cases could lead to death
Females can store sperm for many months so once bred you can take the hot headed male out and she'll still reproduce for you

Trekker1125

I believe an over active male will certainly stress the female out with the result she closes up, stops feeding and in certain cases could lead to death
Thank you. That was my concern. One of my girls had been closed up for almost an entire day, which they haven't done before. Unfortunately, even after putting the male in timeout (a breeder net), she still did not come out and the following day I found she had passed. My other 2 girls were much more active the following day and are back to their old selves. I have 1 mystery snail in another tank that I am fairly certain is a male, so Im thinking I should move the over active male to that tank. If they are both males, would he continue trying to mate all the time and stress the other male out, or would he figure out that it's a male and leave him alone?

richiep

Sorry she passed but if there's a female in there you'll have so many you'll wish you kept them apart at if the time i don't think they're trying to mate, they just seem to like climbing over each other.
If there's not a female there ask your lfs to swap one for you,
I'm useless sexing these guys but if you can photo them on the glass we have some real wizzzzis on snails one of them will sex them.
Maybe its time I looked at the anatomy of snails

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Trekker1125
Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies