Mystery Snail Not Moving! Please Help?

1. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

so yesterday one of my mystery snails (stripes) wasn’t moving so I thought well maybe he’s just lazy but then today he is still in the same spot. I can only test my PH which I know is a problem but if I need to go out and get it tested at my LFS I will, the PH is 7.5 which is what is usually is. That tank only has a male Betta and another mystery snail in it and my Betta is very docile to other creates so he doesn’t realize that they there so I don’t think it’s from an injury. When I picked the snail up he had gravel on his suction pad so I’m not sure what’s going on.

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

What size tank? How long has it been set up? What kind of filter?

3. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

10 gallon, it’s been up and running for about 6 months or so and it has an Aqueon 10 gallon filter that’s on 24/7

I also have some anubias in the tank if that matters

4. Rtessy

Do you clean the filter media or switch he cartridge? If you clean it, how? And how long have you had your snail?

5. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

I clean the filter with a hose on jet and it gets it white, I replace them every 6 months. I’ve had the snail for 2 weeks

6. Rtessy

If you're not on well water, every time you rinse the media the chlorine in the tap kills off all the beneficial bacteria and the cycle begins again. Depending on the filter you have, each replacement of the cartridge replaces the cycle as well.
    This means it's likely ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning, so go ahead and do a 50% water change daily for a few days, and don't forget the water conditioner.

7. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

Im on well water but should I just do the %50 water changes daily anyway. Also when I do water changes I do %25 weekly but just yesterday I did a %50 water change. I put my clean water in a bucket and add the water conditioner, and street zyme because my Betta tends to get stressed during changes. I can go get my water tested in about an hour and post on here what the levels are if that will help

8. Rtessy

Okay, nevermind about the cycle then, it would just be removing he cartridge. It would be great if you could get it tested and give the exact readings. Try a 50% change today anyway, fresh water pretty much always helps.
    How long have you had Stripes?

9. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

I’ve had him and butter (another mystery snail) for about 2 weeks. I know I’m bad at naming things lol

10. Rtessy

Haha, those are great names! Do you know if you have hard or soft water? You may want to look into calcium deficiency if the water tests come back fine.

11. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

I live in Florida so the water is hard. And the test came back fine. How do I fix the calcium Deficiency if that’s what it is

12. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

I’ve had mystery snails before and I currently have three, one in a tank with 2 other snails and 2 in a tank with a Betta, Rasbora and a neon tetra, I will be returning the neon tetra and getting more Rasboras but all my LFS are currently out of those. The problem is one of the mystery snails in the Betta community tank hasn’t come out or moved in two days. I’ve heard that sometimes they will just go away for days but I’m worried.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!