Mystery Snail Not Eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahAlexandra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, I’m brand new to this forum. In fact, this is my first post! My name is Sarah, and I have a gorgeous Betta named Triton, along with his tank mate Plaeco- my gold mystery snail, both in my 3.5 gallon filtered (and heated) tank. I’m here to mention about my snail, Plaeco. He is very active and always moving! But I noticed that he just doesn’t eat!! I’ve had him for a little over a week now, and I’m afraid he will starve!! I’ve fed him algae wafers, and they literally just dissolve from no contact at all. In fact, he’s even “walked” right on top of it, not even stopping to check it out. I’ve fed him some blanched spinach in the past, which I’m assuming he’s eaten, but it’s a hassle having to blanch it everyday for him. (I’ll do it if I have to). I’m afraid my tank is too “clean” and not producing enough algae. I usually do water changes every Sunday. Should I cut back or will that harm my Betta? I’ll take any advice I can get. I just want my precious Plaeco to stay healthy!

FFCB680F-3DE7-4E03-867F-17516D8913DE.jpeg
A6D94401-7BA4-4D98-828F-FAEA87C111D2.jpeg

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Id leave some algae on the side of glass for him. I i never clean my glass i always let my snails eat it. I also find them eating the leftover food the other fish didnt eat.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there. Welcome to Fishlore.

For the most part, mystery snails don’t eat algae. They need to be fed. They will eat some leftovers in the tank, but you should feed them. Or at least offer food a couple times per week.

Fresh veggies work well. Just blanch them for a minute or two. Or micro them, they just need to get a little soft, and then just drop into the tank. You may need to weigh it down with a rock, some veggies float. I feed mine cucumbers, zucchini, kale, baby carrots, they will eat fruits too. I suggest feeding foods that are high in calcium. That will help with their shell health.

I feed my fish blanched-deshelled peas once a week, and the snails go crazy for them. I never find any leftovers. I keep a bag of peas in my freezer. Your betta will benefit from a pea or two a week also. So feed both with one food.

I haven’t had a single snail that has ever eaten algae wafers. They just don’t like them.

SarahAlexandra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there. Welcome to Fishlore.

For the most part, mystery snails don’t eat algae. They need to be fed. They will eat some leftovers in the tank, but you should feed them. Or at least offer food a couple times per week.

Fresh veggies work well. Just blanch them for a minute or two. Or micro them, they just need to get a little soft, and then just drop into the tank. You may need to weigh it down with a rock, some veggies float. I feed mine cucumbers, zucchini, kale, baby carrots, they will eat fruits too. I suggest feeding foods that are high in calcium. That will help with their shell health.

I feed my fish blanched-deshelled peas once a week, and the snails go crazy for them. I never find any leftovers. I keep a bag of peas in my freezer. Your betta will benefit from a pea or two a week also. So feed both with one food.

I haven’t had a single snail that has ever eaten algae wafers. They just don’t like them.
Wow, this is great information. Thank you! When you say “deshelled” peas, do you mean like out of their casing? Also, do you know if any calcium enriched foods that I could feed? I heard about cuttle bone and egg shells but I’m not sure sure how to feed it.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, this is great information. Thank you! When you say “deshelled” peas, do you mean like out of their casing? Also, do you know if any calcium enriched foods that I could feed? I heard about cuttle bone and egg shells but I’m not sure sure how to feed it.
Yes that is exactly what I mean. Once you slightly cook the peas, the insides are easily popped out. Fish can’t digest the casing. Then you mash them up into a paste. You can also add some minced garlic to the mashed peas. It is a natural immune booster and fish love it.

Okay so some snails will eat the cuttlebone, but mainly it raises the calcium level in your water. Same with egg shells, so it isn’t so much about them eating it. If you prefer to add those 2 things, I would get a gH/kH testing kit first. gH is a measurement of calcium and magnesium in your water. So this is important information. You don’t want to add more calcium to your water if it is already at a high level. The kH is a measurement of your alkalinity. If it is low, your pH will fluctuate. It doesn’t sound like you have pH issues, but cuttlebone can mess with your kH/pH.

Calcium rich foods would be zucchini, kale, or really any dark leafy green vegetables will work. The darker the better.

Here is a list of calcium rich foods

Calcium-rich snail foods

SarahAlexandra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes that is exactly what I mean. Once you slightly cook the peas, the insides are easily popped out. Fish can’t digest the casing. Then you mash them up into a paste. You can also add some minced garlic to the mashed peas. It is a natural immune booster and fish love it.

Okay so some snails will eat the cuttlebone, but mainly it raises the calcium level in your water. Same with egg shells, so it isn’t so much about them eating it. If you prefer to add those 2 things, I would get a gH/kH testing kit first. gH is a measurement of calcium and magnesium in your water. So this is important information. You don’t want to add more calcium to your water if it is already at a high level. The kH is a measurement of your alkalinity. If it is low, your pH will fluctuate. It doesn’t sound like you have pH issues, but cuttlebone can mess with your kH/pH.

Calcium rich foods would be zucchini, kale, or really any dark leafy green vegetables will work. The darker the better.

Here is a list of calcium rich foods

Calcium-rich snail foods
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Seriously, I can't thank you enough. Very informative.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Seriously, I can't thank you enough. Very informative.
You are welcome. I am always glad when I can share info. It took me quite a bit of time to figure out all this stuff. I have been keeping fish correctly for only a year, and adding snails and shrimp have been my favorite things so far. Snails have so much personality. I totally enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom