Mystery Snail Not Eating? Sleeping?dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARQ

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just recently got a new blue mystery snail and i have not seen him eat anything, i am not sure if it is due to introducing him to his new tank or the stress of shipping but he seemed active the first day exploring his new tank and now has been in his shell for 2 days.

The first day i noticed he was in his shell there was a reaction when handling him to ensure he was alive, the next day i noticed he was in the same spot and has not moved since.
I placed a organic blanched cucumber slice in the tank but have not seen him eat.

Is he sleeping or dying?

OP
ARQ

ARQ

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine like meat. Have you tried shrimp pellets or blood worms?

Perhaps the food is different from what he is used to. Can you ask what he used to see as food?
I did contact the seller and he informed me that his diet was mainly cucumbers and spinach, however he doesn't eat the cucumbers. He is still alive however is in his shell most of the time. When i try to feed him i leave the food in for about 12 hours but never notice him actually feeding.

OP
ARQ

ARQ

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long has you tank been running? Because usually a cycled tank has some nitates.? Thus could be the issue
It's been running for about 3 months now, i did however get a new testing kit. That might be the cause for the results possibly not being accurate.

OP
ARQ

ARQ

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have live plants? How often do you water change? Both of those answers could help understand why your nitrates are 0. What test kit do you use?
I do about 50% water changes every week.
I currently have 2 groups of Java Fern in the tank that have been placed there for about a month now, thinking of adding more.
And i used the below as i was in need of another and saw that it had good reviews.
API MASTER TEST KIT Aquarium Water Test Kit

OP
ARQ

ARQ

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have live plants? How often do you water change? Both of those answers could help understand why your nitrates are 0. What test kit do you use?
I also do 50% water changes every week.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes this kit is key, so it's prolly just the plants eating the nitrate, I'm sure your fine, keep up on water changes and testing and you'll be just fine

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just recently got a new blue mystery snail and i have not seen him eat anything, i am not sure if it is due to introducing him to his new tank or the stress of shipping but he seemed active the first day exploring his new tank and now has been in his shell for 2 days.

The first day i noticed he was in his shell there was a reaction when handling him to ensure he was alive, the next day i noticed he was in the same spot and has not moved since.
I placed a organic blanched cucumber slice in the tank but have not seen him eat.

Is he sleeping or dying?
He's likely fine. I currently have 5 mysteries and they will sometimes almost "hibernate" for anywhere from a few hours to a day or two. They did it more for the first month or two I had them, but now they are almost constantly out and about, exploring and parasnailing off the decorations!

You should only be really worried if his operculum (the hard door he uses to close his shell) is either peeling away from his foot, or receding into his shell well past the opening.

Do you know how old he is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom