Mystery Snail - Nocturnal? Question 

Blaggy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So recently got myself a Mystery Snail, Magenta to be exact, and I'm brand new to these guys, so I was wondering if they are nocturnal or photosensitive? He's with my betta in a 10 gallon tank. I just got it Thursday so maybe he/she is getting use to things? The first day he moved around a bit with the light on, but then eventually dug into the sand substrate and slept until lights out, once the lights were out, I came back out and noticed it woke and started moving around. Then the next morning back sleeping again all day.
IMG_8849.JPG
IMG_8862.JPG

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's a lovely colour not sure on mystery habits but my nerites seem to please themselves when they want to make an appearance sometimes I don't see them for weeks

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My mystery is a bit of both. It prefers night to day as the betta sometimes nips it, and at night it doesn't get its food stolen either.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are somewhat nocturnal, or so I've learned through my dads old tank. They tend to be more active at night or later in the day. During the day they can bury themselves or they just sit still quite a bit of the time. They mainly feed at night too. That doesn't mean they aren't active during the day at all. My dad would sometimes add food during the day and they would soon be on the move. I much prefer the look of yours to my dads though. Lovely shell.

Blaggy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
He's a lovely colour not sure on mystery habits but my nerites seem to please themselves when they want to make an appearance sometimes I don't see them for weeks
Yeah he's a beaut!

InsanityShard said:
My mystery is a bit of both. It prefers night to day as the betta sometimes nips it, and at night it doesn't get its food stolen either.
Bummer, well I hope mine comes out more during the day. So adorable.

Feohw said:
They are somewhat nocturnal, or so I've learned through my dads old tank. They tend to be more active at night or later in the day. During the day they can bury themselves or they just sit still quite a bit of the time. They mainly feed at night too. That doesn't mean they aren't active during the day at all. My dad would sometimes add food during the day and they would soon be on the move. I much prefer the look of yours to my dads though. Lovely shell.
Ahh that explains it. Yeah the betta has gone at him a few times already. I blanched some zucchini and dropped it in but he doesn't seem interested.

Overall great shell color, and super cute from what I have seen of him. I suppose the burrowing in the sand is natural thing too as I'm sure they do that in the wild.

So another quick question: 10 gallon - 1x Betta, 1x Magenta Mystery. Filter is a Aqueon 20. Can I add another Mystery of a different color?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blaggy said:
So another quick question: 10 gallon - 1x Betta, 1x Magenta Mystery. Filter is a Aqueon 20. Can I add another Mystery of a different color?
I believe 2 can be kept in a 10 gallon. Or at least I've read about other people with 2 in a 10 gallon. If you end up with a male and female, they lay eggs over the surface of the water. So if you don't want to be overpopulated with snails it's quite easy to remove them. They also take a few weeks to hatch.

Blaggy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome, thanks! I ordered one, a Blue Mystery this time. I was also thinking that with my betta, and my substrate being black, maybe the dark foot of the blue won't stand out as much as the light foot Magenta. I noticed my betta was going at the Magenta's antennae but since its so light it really stands out. The could be why its settling into the sand during the day and coming out at night.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom