Mystery Snail Mystery

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Quikrete has a bad reputation with their sand being used for anything other than its stated purpose and even as a pool sand it gets bad reviews for poor quality control mostly related to the grit/grain size. Sorry to hear about the peanut plants.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Quikrete has a bad reputation with their sand being used for anything other than its stated purpose and even as a pool sand it gets bad reviews for poor quality control mostly related to the grit/grain size. Sorry to hear about the peanut plants.
Thank you. My squirrels are not happy. Usually start harvesting about now. Found out was cheaper to grow than buy. Or was anyway.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you all so much <3

So far, the gravel is having no Ph swings, and all of my bettas are doing great (well, except for my halfmoon that decided to bite his tail to the bone even after I fixed up his tank:rolleyes. Next tank I set up (after I took my guppy/endler tank, you guys know I gotta set it back up again) I won't cheap out, I'm gonna do a dirted tank.

Goldie&Yami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all so much <3

So far, the gravel is having no Ph swings, and all of my bettas are doing great (well, except for my halfmoon that decided to bite his tail to the bone even after I fixed up his tank:rolleyes. Next tank I set up (after I took my guppy/endler tank, you guys know I gotta set it back up again) I won't cheap out, I'm gonna do a dirted tank.
If you are willing to spend the money and plan on a planted tank I LOVE Seachem Flourite substrates. They have tons of good stuff for the plants and they don't hurt my water quality or my little snail friends lol.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My favorite is the black natural gravel (smooth pebble type), don't what type of stone it technically is but it's pretty common in aquarium shops, a bit more expensive but looks awesome and has never affected anything. I just set up an 'instant cycle' tank 4 days ago for shrimp / ramshorn snails / livebearer fry and it worked a treat, everything is going perfect Used the tiny pebbles this time for fry but use the larger type in my other tanks. Good luck with your next set up

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Unfortunately the saga continues.

I went out today looking for a nerite and got a mystery instead. I plan to move him to my other tank as soon as I set it up (it'll have Flourite and heavily planted). He's a little smaller than a penny. I named him Nori.
Not even 10 minutes after acclimation, he's sitting at the water line and staying like that. I put him into the breeder box and tried to get him to eat. He wouldn't touch it. So I put him back in the tank. A few hours later, he's floating. Wavy foot, slight discharge, but I can't really tell.
0-0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a steady Ph (I couldn't tell on the ammonia, I dosed Prime just in case). I presume my nitrates are less then 40 since the tank is planted, I'm doing a water change tomorrow.
What is going on? Why am I having these problems?

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I hate to say it, but at this point I'd recommend not keeping mystery snails. Still, hope this one makes it.
Yeah, you might be right. I plan on getting some rabbit snails in a few days-weeks but I'm wondering if I should cancel (they're going in the other tank).It's such a shame though, I love these snails and I feel bad that I'm taking them home for them to meet their doom.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, you might be right. I plan on getting some rabbit snails in a few days-weeks but I'm wondering if I should cancel (they're going in the other tank).It's such a shame though, I love these snails and I feel bad that I'm taking them home for them to meet their doom.
Sometimes snails can be super hardy. Sometimes just the tiniest thing can kill them. I’m so sorry.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately the saga continues.

I went out today looking for a nerite and got a mystery instead. I plan to move him to my other tank as soon as I set it up (it'll have Flourite and heavily planted). He's a little smaller than a penny. I named him Nori.
Not even 10 minutes after acclimation, he's sitting at the water line and staying like that. I put him into the breeder box and tried to get him to eat. He wouldn't touch it. So I put him back in the tank. A few hours later, he's floating. Wavy foot, slight discharge, but I can't really tell.
0-0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a steady Ph (I couldn't tell on the ammonia, I dosed Prime just in case). I presume my nitrates are less then 40 since the tank is planted, I'm doing a water change tomorrow.
What is going on? Why am I having these problems?
It seems that whatever is going on in your tank is just not snail friendly. You've stumped most of us on here so who knows what it is.

I will say though that snails can be weird. My ivory decided that she was very very sick for about 2 weeks. Wavy discharged foot and couldn't walk would only "tip toe" she lived in a breeder box and she would barely eat. I and a few other on here decided that it was just from old age because she is quite large. But then all of a sudden she was fine. I hadn't changed anything. Now she still get a wavy foot but she always wants to eat.

So who knows maybe one day you could get some more snails. But for now I would wait.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It seems that whatever is going on in your tank is just not snail friendly. You've stumped most of us on here so who knows what it is.

I will say though that snails can be weird. My ivory decided that she was very very sick for about 2 weeks. Wavy discharged foot and couldn't walk would only "tip toe" she lived in a breeder box and she would barely eat. I and a few other on here decided that it was just from old age because she is quite large. But then all of a sudden she was fine. I hadn't changed anything. Now she still get a wavy foot but she always wants to eat.

So who knows maybe one day you could get some more snails. But for now I would wait.
Do you think it would be safe to get some rabbits in my completely new tank? New filter, Seachem Flourite gravel, different source of plants, completely new decor? Just on your guy's opinions

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you think it would be safe to get some rabbits in my completely new tank? New filter, Seachem Flourite gravel, different source of plants, completely new decor? Just on your guy's opinions
You could try it yes. But in future always wash your hands very well when going between tanks. I get the feeling that there is some kind of bacteria or parasite that has been transferred to your current tanks. So as long as you wash well and don't move anything from one of your tanks to the new one you might be ok.

Best of luck with snails in the future!
-freak

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could try it yes. But in future always wash your hands very well when going between tanks. I get the feeling that there is some kind of bacteria or parasite that has been transferred to your current tanks. So as long as you wash well and don't move anything from one of your tanks to the new one you might be ok.

Best of luck with snails in the future!
-freak
Thank you! I will make sure to do a better job with that

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe you could try ramshorn snails instead? I've only ever had 1 mystery snail and it didn't survive (by the time I realized it was dead I nearly died too cleaning out the tank lol). But ramshorns do great in my tanks, a bit too well sometimes. They can live in pretty much anything so if you have ramshorns die you'll know something is really wrong with your water or something in the tank, but if they do fine you'll know it's just the mystery snails that were particularly sensitive to something.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Maybe you could try ramshorn snails instead? I've only ever had 1 mystery snail and it didn't survive (by the time I realized it was dead I nearly died too cleaning out the tank lol). But ramshorns do great in my tanks, a bit too well sometimes. They can live in pretty much anything so if you have ramshorns die you'll know something is really wrong with your water or something in the tank, but if they do fine you'll know it's just the mystery snails that were particularly sensitive to something.
I like the look of rams horn snails but I thought they were pest snails?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I like the look of rams horn snails but I thought they were pest snails?
They are, but I think they're pretty cool, lol. I started with 4 back in January and now I have like 6, so it's not that bad. Granted I have a goldfish with them that pretty much eats all the babies. But you can sell extras on aquabid

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’ll have to look into them then

So far I’ve found a little pest snail and his annoying soul is staying alive in my snurderer tank. I’ll get my revenge...

Well, probably not, I got attached to him and he’s getting a 1.5 gallon :yawn:

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They only get called 'pest snails' because they tend to arrive on plants etc and get into tanks where they're not wanted, and can then be hard to get rid of due to their eggs being hidden on plants etc. (although 'blue planet snail rid' will kill them if you do need to get rid of them).
Aquarium shops usually sell the larger red ones or other color varieties as they're still considered good for aquariums and people (who like them) will happily buy them (in contrast you'll never see pond snails for sale except maybe as puffer food, they're the true 'pest snails'). So technically, they're not really a pest snail unless you don't want them
I've had a bad lot once before though that completely took over, so if you buy any, just make sure to get them from a tank that isn't overpopulated with snails as that would suggest those lot breed too fast, get from a tank where there's just a few larger snails

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom