Mystery Snail Mystery

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Name credit goes to @Gypsy13 ;)

But in all seriousness. I can’t figure out why my snails are dying. Here’s the backstory.

I ordered a mystery snail from a member here. She, unfortunately, died soon after after floating for days and not eating. Figuring it was just a fluke, I went out to my LPS and got another. This one showed the same exact signs as the last one. Then he died.

All of my snails in my other tanks are completely fine. Here’s my tank specs:
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrates
    20 nitrates
    75 degrees
    Inhabitants: 3 Endlers and 4 guppies
    Cycled
    10 gallon
    No copper in my tap
    No copper in my snail or fish food.
    All other fish and snails in both tanks are fine.

Why did my snails die?!

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

maybe just bad luck????

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

What other snails do you have? How did you acclimate the snails?

4. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

In my other tank, I have nerites and a mystery. None in the tank they both died in.
    The first one was wrapped in a paper towel and I wasn’t sure how to acclimate, so I just put her in. She was fine for a while, then slowly decreased. My other one I floated and added tank water properly. He did the same exact thing as my other one.

5. Rtessy

So it's just one of your tanks that's killing the snails? If so, do you have any snails in that particular tank? Any chance that it was a used tank? Sorry for all the questions, and this seems to just be weird bad luck for the most part.

6. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Correct.

There are currently no snails in the tank they keep dying in.

Nope, it was from a dollar per gallon sale at Petco.

7. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Do you have any rocks in the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Nope.

9. Goldfishfreak

Goldfishfreak Valued Member Member

What is your gh, kh, and ph like. I know of there off in my tank my ivory snail refuses food and floats until I fix it.

It doesn't happen anymore because my parameters are stable but I was having problems a while ago and he was not doing well

10. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

You said the first mystery snail was wrapped in a paper towel. Was the second like this as well? If so, why? Is that how your LPS gives them to you?

11. Rtessy

The first one was shipped, and when shipped, mystery snails are wrapped in paper towels to avoid shell damage. When coming back from a store or something, that's not necessary because it's a short, and generally less rocky, trip

12. Adriifu

Ah, okay. Thank you.

Did their shells look damaged? Do you know the calcium levels in the tank?

13. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I know you feel like you’ve answered all these questions before. But I’m hoping something will click with someone. Thank you for giving me credit for the title. You didn’t have to. Very sweet. :)
    I had forgotten one of the snails came in the mail. Do you have any artificial decor in that tank?

14. Mazeus

Have you recently medicated the tank to treat hydra or planaria?

15. Adriifu

Oh, there was another thread on this?

16. Rtessy

Really my best guess would be something got into the tank during manufacturing, whether it be copper or something else, and it's slowly leaching out of the silicone. If you have any pest snails, try testing with those and see if it's something of that nature.

17. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

You’re so not right! Pest snails. I just had some hatch out in qt with plants I ordered from a fellow fishlorian. They’re so tiny! But I do agree. :)

Yes. Mystery snail floating. There’s something going on in this tank. Hoping fresh eyes and questions/answers might help.

18. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I agree about the testing with a couple of pest snails. Just don't leave them in long enough to start multiplying. They're surprisingly good at math :)

19. Mazeus

You could always buy some copper test strips and test the aquarium water. If the silicone is leaching copper that would be a sure fire way to find out.

20. Rtessy

Oops, I keep forgetting. My pest snails just keep dying for some reason, even in the tank I set up just for pond snails, I just forget that they're an issue half the time :D