Mystery Snail Miracle Baby

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by babyshark24, Jul 30, 2019.

1. babyshark24

babyshark24New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    My 30 gallon community tank has been running for a few months now (fully cycled, mostly fully stocked) and I have three mystery snails They occasionally lay fertile egg clutches and I always destroy them. A week or so ago they laid one and when I was taking it off the lid, one or two eggs fell into the water and I couldn't get them. I figured they wouldn't survive.

Well, now I have a baby snail! His name is Gary. Father is almost definitely the ivory male (the females couldn't store sperm from any other mail that long). I might put a pic up if I can get a good shot of him.
    Gary is tiny and sort of olive-brown colored. Dark foot, darkish shell. Does anyone have any idea which female is the mother? Interested in the genetics but I can't find much online about it.

The father is ivory- no pigment on foot or shell
    The two possible mothers are a wild-type (dark shell, dark foot) and a golden (gold shell, white foot)

Thank you!

2. mimo91088

mimo91088Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +135
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Are you certain it's mystery snail? Even as fresh hatchlings there's no mistaking them. They look like tiny clones of the adults. Might be a bladder snail if it's got a different shape at all. Have you added plants or anything recently? I only ask because like you said, it is indeed impossible for them to hatch under water. How old was the clutch when you pulled it? If it went unnoticed for a long time they might have been ready to hatch and you could've broken a few free from the eggs.

3. OP
    OP
    babyshark24

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Definitely a Mystery. I'd estimate the clutch was about ready to hatch, based on the colors, so I must have freed an egg. I've had a stowaway bladder snail before with some gravel (which got into my fish bag) and had to crunch him as a precaution, but that was quite some time ago and I haven't added anything.

So I must have freed a hatching that was ready to go when I pulled the clutch! Little miracle baby...

Thanks!

(I was away for vacation and someone else was watching the tank, I could tell it was ready to hatch because of the dark spots of baby snails on the white color. I destroyed it because I wasn't ready for so many snails!)

4. mimo91088

mimo91088Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +135
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Congrats then! Yea those clutch sizes can be overwhelming. In that case I'd say your wild type is likely the other parent. It's a very dominant gene. Despite what some say, in my experience you can usually tell the adult color from the moment they hatch. So it will likely grow to be another wild type.

5. OP
    OP
    babyshark24

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you! Now I can add him to the fish attendance list for when my dad's taking care of the tank... Gary, son of Sugar and Neptune!

Become a Fishlore Member