Mystery snail lays eggs excessively

GL098

So I have a blue mystery snail, and when my tank’s water level gets a little lower, it lays a clutch of eggs, but it does it like every day-is this normal. The eggs scare me and my trypophobia really badly. Is there any way to prevent this, other than keeping water levels up because I have little net breeders holding babies right now so the kid doesn’t close all the way so the water evaporates really fast, so it is kinda hard to keep up with adding more all of the time. So basically, is it normal for it to lay eggs as often as it does, because I read somewhere online that most mystery snails only do it a couple times a year or a month, but mine does it practically every day?

erbear

I wouldn't consider the behavior that abnormal.

There is some evidence that egg laying and mating behavior among mystery snails is related to higher temperature in the tank.

You won't stop the snail laying clutches of eggs entirely by reducing temperature and topping off the water (as mystery snails lay eggs just above the water's surface) but those things may reduce it.

Ultimately, if you don't want your snails to lay eggs you should separate the males and females (sexing mystery snails is tricky though).

Removing the clutches is just part of maintenance but if you have an aversion to the eggs, topping off the water daily is a good way to avoid that.

OP
G

GL098

erbear said:
I wouldn't consider the behavior that abnormal.

There is some evidence that egg laying and mating behavior among mystery snails is related to higher temperature in the tank.

You won't stop the snail laying clutches of eggs entirely by reducing temperature and topping off the water (as mystery snails lay eggs just above the water's surface) but those things may reduce it.

Ultimately, if you don't want your snails to lay eggs you should separate the males and females (sexing mystery snails is tricky though).

Removing the clutches is just part of maintenance but if you have an aversion to the eggs, topping off the water daily is a good way to avoid that.
Okay thank you so much! I only have the one snail though so why is it still laying eggs? I thought they laid eggs and then the male would fertilize them, am I wrong?

erbear

The male fertilizes the female then she decides when and where to lay the eggs from days to a few weeks later. Females may also lay unfertilized eggs.

New Threads