Mystery snail laying eggs outside thtank on the HOB right now!

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's 2 am and I was just going to put wafers in my tanks as always before bed. Noticed something, turned the light on and saw a mystery snail outside of the AC HOB laying eggs. So will she get back into the water or fall behind the aquarium? I never expected them so far outside the tank. Last time was inside the filter.
20200601_015157.jpg

Best Answer - View Mar1111's answer

Casper&Mushu

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My mystery snails lay eggs quite a lot, but usually they lay them above the waterline so they get water but won’t get soaked and will be able to easily get into the water when they eat through their eggs. Not a big issue though, you can move egg clumps relatively easily just try not to smush them and if they won’t stick again to a wall look for a spot that’s half submerged half not submerged. A top of a filter perhaps? If not get a plastic container, make some paper towels a bit moist then put the paper towels in and the eggs on top, let the plastic container float around and it should be fine. Good luck :)

OP
M

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Casper&Mushu said:
My mystery snails lay eggs quite a lot, but usually they lay them above the waterline so they get water but won’t get soaked and will be able to easily get into the water when they eat through their eggs. Not a big issue though, you can move egg clumps relatively easily just try not to smush them and if they won’t stick again to a wall look for a spot that’s half submerged half not submerged. A top of a filter perhaps? If not get a plastic container, make some paper towels a bit moist then put the paper towels in and the eggs on top, let the plastic container float around and it should be fine. Good luck :)
I've already put the clutch from inside the filter in a plastic bowl with the damp towels and a lid last Wednesday. Good grief, I just didn't expect this! I see a couple small clutches up at the top of the rim too. I constantly see the male with 2 females, I'm ready to put him alone into my other tank!

I'm just worried she's going to drop to the floor while I'm sleeping. Those eggs are still rolling out like a conveyor belt!

I can't possibly support so many babies!

If they are separated and can't breed, do they stop laying eggs right away? Just asking because platys have babies for 6 months after breeding, I don't know about snails.

Casper&Mushu

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mar1111 said:
I've already put the clutch from inside the filter in a plastic bowl with the damp towels and a lid last Wednesday. Good grief, I just didn't expect this! I see a couple small clutches up at the top of the rim too. I constantly see the male with 2 females, I'm ready to put him alone into my other tank!

I'm just worried she's going to drop to the floor while I'm sleeping. Those eggs are still rolling out like a conveyor belt!

I can't possibly support so many babies!

If they are separated and can't breed, do they stop laying eggs right away? Just asking because platys have babies for 6 months after breeding, I don't know about snails.
Well probably not immediately, unfortunately mystery snail females can store sperm for months even after they have no more access to male snails. She might keep laying more eggs but I’d say separate them because the longer they are in together the more egg clutches you’ll end up with.

OP
M

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I woke up after 4 hours and went to look for the female. I couldn't believe I saw her so fast, but she was on the floor and had crawled all the way around to the front. I hurried and dropped her in the tank and after 5 minutes I saw a little movement around her foot. Hoping next time I check, she's revived!

Casper&Mushu

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mar1111 said:
I woke up after 4 hours and went to look for the female. I couldn't believe I saw her so fast, but she was on the floor and had crawled all the way around to the front. I hurried and dropped her in the tank and after 5 minutes I saw a little movement around her foot. Hoping next time I check, she's revived!
Is she revived now? How is she getting out if you do have a tank lid, is there a hole? Maybe stop her from being able to get out.

OP
M

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She did not survive and that broke my heart. I saved her eggs and hope the last efforts of her life survive.

This was not the last thing to happen, and I'll write about it soon. There's too large of a gap where the filter is. At 1:30 this morning I was cutting a foam plate to cover the hole and taped it in place. Another snail is in terrible trouble, however. I'm on my phone and prefer to write from my laptop. Just came home, writing from my driveway... stay tuned.

New Threads