Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Mystery Snail Laying Eggs In Impossible Spot

Discussion in 'Snails' started by kjw0916, May 27, 2019.

1. kjw0916 New Member Member

Seriously right on the front of the biowheel cover of the filter... I left the water level low for a week or so because i thought she might be ready to lay but never did so I filled it up with my last water change (a little less than an inch from the top). NOW she decides it's time... there is no way they will survive here. It makes me kind of sad. The mom is an ivory white mystery snail and the dad is a blue. Was hoping for blue babies.

2. Agua86 Valued Member Member

How can you tell a snail is ready to lay eggs? I've been thinking about getting a couple and don't want unexpected egg clutches

3. kjw0916 New Member Member

Honestly, they have been having A LOT of sex. Then I noticed her checking out the top more than usual. Which just made me suspicious. I don't know if it is an actual common behavior before they lay. I had kind of given up though.

4. Mirandalee New Member Member

sorry for your lost, my friend. how long have you been keeping it , is it easy to keep snail ? i am trying to keep some in my tank together with guppy but i 'm worried if they can live along ?

5. Agua86 Valued Member Member

If you want them to hatch, I've seen people carefully scrape off the clutches and place them in a covered Tupperware with ventilation holes. They sit the eggs on top of a damp paper towel.

6. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

I have had to remove several clutches (don’t need that many snails!), and they generally come off cleanly in one piece. Definitely recommend moving the clutch if you want them.

7. richie.p Well Known Member Member

What makes you think they won't survive where she layed them just be careful if you take the cover off

8. Agua86 Valued Member Member

You keep them too? I was at my lfs yesterday and they had these massive specimens. I'm debating going back to get a couple today. I've had them before, but they die within the month. Only snails that I've managed to keep alive are nerite.

9. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

I have two purples who won’t stop with the egg laying. I gave in and left one clutch alone, and was startled the other morning by the remains of the eggs falling into the water, and quite a number of baby snails. They only live a year or so, I believe, so I’ll probably keep a couple of the youngsters and sell the rest. Can save you a few if you want.

10. Agua86 Valued Member Member

Sure! The ones we get are always yellow or dark brown. I've never seen the purples.

11. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

I’ll try to get some decent pictures later. Right now I’m still on my first cup of coffee. I’m not really sure if all the offspring from a purple-purple clutch will be purple - most of them are, pretty clearly, even at this size, but there’s a few paler ones as well.

12. LilHoodoo New Member Member

You could take the advice of a master (not me!)

Rachel has a system for a 100% hatch rate on mystery/apple snails.
    After a major hatch, just flood the container with like a tablespoon extra water, and suck them up with and eye-dropper - just sqirt them back into the tank with "Mom". works exelent

13. kjw0916 New Member Member

I wanted purple so bad but no one had them or knew when they would be able to get them so I got white instead.

14. kjw0916 New Member Member

From what I understand, they need humidity but these are half out of the tank so will dry out too much.

15. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

The newly hatched ones are so stinking cute. If you look closely, you can see that they already have tiny, tiny stripes. I don’t think I can get a decent picture of the little ones with my phone, unfortunately.

16. kjw0916 New Member Member

I moved the clutch to an "incubator" like the one in the video. What does little miss do? Laid another in almost exactly the same spot.

17. Agua86 Valued Member Member

She's challenging you

18. kjw0916 New Member Member

I would not be surprised to find another clutch there tomorrow. I appear to have two males for my one female.

19. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

Once mine started they didn’t stop. I just found her starting to climb over the rim towards the HOB, where she’s laid before. She was starting to ease her foot over the rim. I yelled at her and she went back down.

20. Agua86 Valued Member Member

That's too funny!