5 Gallon Tank Mystery Snail Injured

TayShrum
I have NO idea what happened. I was at my dorm for a week and my 5 gallon tank was under the care of my mom and friend. My mom had been panicking because she couldnt tell if my snail, Phleb, was dead but I figured it was just him asleep. When I came back his shell was extremely damaged at the edge but there is not evidence of pieces in the tank. I moved him to a 1.5 gallon QT tank and I have no idea what to do. I don't think he'd dead because he moved a little more into what's left of his shell between the move. Please tell me how or if I can fix this!

mattgirl
I am no snail expert but if it is just shell damage the snail should be alright. The shell is just its home. Did the little guy happen to go for a walk about and maybe fell far enough to hit hard? If so it could have done more damage than just the damage to its shell.

Really all you can do for the little guy/girl is keep an eye on it an offer it some of its favorite food. Hopefully it is coming out to eat.

TayShrum
mattgirl said:
I am no snail expert but if it is just shell damage the snail should be alright. The shell is just its home. Did the little guy happen to go for a walk about and maybe fell far enough to hit hard? If so it could have done more damage than just the damage to its shell.

Really all you can do for the little guy/girl is keep an eye on it an offer it some of its favorite food. Hopefully it is coming out to eat.
He hasn't left the tank or tried to in the time I've had him and if he had escaped while I was gone I would never hear the end of it. Other than waiting can I add anything to the water or offer him any type of food that might benefit him?

mattgirl
TayShrum said:
He hasn't left the tank or tried to in the time I've had him and if he had escaped while I was gone I would never hear the end of it. Other than waiting can I add anything to the water or offer him any type of food that might benefit him?
Personally I am not a fan of adding anything to our tanks unless it is absolutely necessary. I don't think there is any kind of medications to help in a case like this anyway. Does this little guy like his fresh veggies? If so just offer him some and keep an eye on him to see if he is eating.

Like any other water pet be sure to keep his water fresh and clean. Hopefully he will be back to his normal self soon. All you can really do is feed him and give it time.

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom