Mystery Snail in New Tank?

FinAndSasha

Hey!

I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 betta and 4 oto’s. I wanted to add a mystery snail (yellow) to add some other bright colors to the tank, and of course a little friend to watch. My betta is “overly aggressive” as many people from my Local Fish Store has said, but they believed he’d be fine with a snail. Well, he’s not. He picked on its antenna, and at one point pushed its off the rock with his body, trying to kill it. Right now the snail is floating in a breeder during the day when it sleeps, and then the betta is in the breeder at night while the snail goes around. This is temporary. My betta still picks on the snail if it’s on the slits on the side of the breeder.

I set up another tank two days ago. A little less than 50% of the water is from my already established tank. Can I put the snail into that tank while it’s cycling? I did this with Oto’s and my betta because I was told my tank was cycled, and when I went back a week later they said it wasn’t. I am going to add beneficial bacteria to the tank today when I go to the store. I was thinking of adding Prime Seachem that “Detoxifies Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrites” in the mean time while it cycles.

BigManAquatics

Might try a nerite with the betta. It leaves a lot less antenna and soft body exposed to bettas.

The mystery snail will help create ammonia for cycling a new tank. Just make sure to keep the ammonia and nitrites low.

Upvote 0

FinAndSasha

Might try a nerite with the betta. It leaves a lot less antenna and soft body exposed to bettas.

The mystery snail will help create ammonia for cycling a new tank. Just make sure to keep the ammonia and nitrites low.

Okay, great! Thank you for your reply!

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

My betta (that mauls cherry shrimp) does great with my nerite. Often times she just swims next to it and stares!

Upvote 0

FinAndSasha

My betta (that mauls cherry shrimp) does great with my nerite. Often times she just swims next to it and stares!

I might try that! My betta also makes it his mission to go after all cherry shrimp, platties, and sometimes the oto’s. Lol!

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

I might try that! My betta also makes it his mission to go after all cherry shrimp, platties, and sometimes the oto’s. Lol!
LOL yeah I put my betta in with my cherry shrimp and next thing I know (Literally a minute later) I see a decapitated cherry shrimp..fun

Upvote 0

FinAndSasha

LOL yeah I put my betta in with my cherry shrimp and next thing I know (Literally a minute later) I see a decapitated cherry shrimp..fun

Poor thing omg. I got 3 free shrimp from my local fish store, and i’ve never saw them again. I think i have an idea who the culprit is!

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Poor thing omg. I got 3 free shrimp from my local fish store, and i’ve never saw them again. I think i have an idea who the culprit is!
Haha same I had three and the first one got beheaded then the other two was weird because one of them just randomly disappeared as I was shifting all of the plants from the 2.5g to the 5g and it just didn't make it. The last one standing got net out and put into the 5g, then was never seen again..... (15bucks down the drain...thanks rosé (my betta)

Upvote 0

FinAndSasha

That’s one expensive snack for a little betta fish LOL ‍♀️

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
kylequat