Help Mystery Snail In Hibernation? Maybe?

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi my mystery snail was very active until the last couple months. he no longer climbs to the top of the tank for air or just hanging out and he's been mostly in the same spot.
I do have pest snails and their arrival and his hiding have come about at roughly the same time... could he hate these other snails climbing all over him? could they have made him sick or are harming him somehow?
he does have pitting on his shell which I can't seem to stop. it started in quarantine so I assume it's my water which is soft slightly acidic usually 6-7 pH before I put it in the tank there is tons of calcium available because I have old shells and crushed coral in there to help but it didn't have an affect it is still continuing.
I'm gonna clean the tank and put him in quarantine tomorrow which is unfortunate because for a while there he seemed to like his larger space.
I also put ember tetras in the tank but the hibernation started before their arrival.
I also have spotted two small black worms in the tank. one that either came off of him or was very close near him. which I killed. but it looks like dark grey-black with either black segments or spots sort of. regular tube shape short kinda thick about 1/4' no idea what it is. I don't think it's fly larvae as someone said in another post they hangout at the water line not necessarily under the water which these are near the bottom.
thoughts on what I can do for this guy or what the issue really is?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's very unusual for a mystery snail to be inactive for long periods, it's time to take him out do the sniff test and check him over

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's very unusual for a mystery snail to be inactive for long periods, it's time to take him out do the sniff test and check him over
he moves, he's definitely still alive but he stays in one place and doesn't crawl around.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All you can do for now is keep taking him out every few days and check him, you could also try putting some lettuce near him, a photo of the worm may help but I dont think it's related
Its not sounding to good for this guy, they need to come up for air now and then as their gill is not sufficient enough to keep them breathing

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All you can do for now is keep taking him out every few days and check him, you could also try putting some lettuce near him, a photo of the worm may help but I dont think it's related
Its not sounding to good for this guy, they need to come up for air now and then as their gill is not sufficient enough to keep them breathing
I put him a hospital tank with the water low so he could still stick his snorkel out. he's still kicking but won't eat anything

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom