Mystery snail help - large bubble growth

aswebothshook

Reaction score
I’ve never seen this before but it looks like some kind of growth or very large bubble has appeared out of no where on my mystery snail. I’m a little concerned because I don’t think this is normal behavior for them and I’m not sure if there is anything I can do. I haven’t tried to take her out of the tank yet to inspect but there is no odor coming from the tank that would make me think she died already. Wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this with their snails before? Anything advice helps, thanks.

Attachments

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh my gosh, how awful! Your poor snail. You need to actually sniff her and not just the tank. At first I thought a prolapse but it's hard to tell where the mass originates. If she's still alive, you might consider humane euthanasia.

Anything else in your tank?

OP
aswebothshook

aswebothshook

Reaction score
Fisheye said:
A search on other forums suggests lung collapse. Here is a thread from this forum. I haven't time to go through it atm, but think it would be worth a look.

Mystery Snail Care/sickness Guide | Snails 339419
Yes it’s a planted and cycled 10 gallon tank with 1 betta fish in there. My betta is swimming around normally so I don’t think it has anything to do with the water quality. Upon picking my snail out of the tank she is still alive and feeling the large mass it is definitely an air bubble and it’s very swollen. I think now it has to be a lung collapse though because of a similar situation I read online of someone else’s mystery snail having a large bubble and then it passing away. Very sad but I don’t think there is anything I can do for her then to end her suffering. Thank you for the help!

OP
aswebothshook

aswebothshook

Reaction score
Fisheye said:
I'm sorry. I just love these snail-they are so peaceful and graceful.

Thank you, I appreciate it! Yes I agree, love watching these guys cruise around the tank. My favorite is watching them slide down an anubias leaf, it looks like they’re surfing

New Threads