Mystery Snail Growth rate?

shrimpyay

So, we've been getting a bunch of mystery snail egg pouches for a while now, and since we weren't ready to actually incubate any deliberately until after the holidays, we decided to leave them where they were. The humidity and temps in the ambient air are low enough we figured that there was little chance of a successful hatch, or, if we did get any, it would only be a few. We figured we'd let that go until after the holidays, at which point we would consider collecting an egg sack to deliberately incubate. We were hoping to get a few (like 3 to 5) babies just to get some experience as snail raisers.

We went camping over last weekend and came home to two egg sacks hatching in our 10 gallon tank and 1 partially hatched and a second in the process of hatching in our 20 gallon tank...this morning the second one is fully out, lol. We gave up counting at 53 baby snails. O:

So, uh, we have way more baby snails than we ever expected to hatch this quickly, and...we're obviously thrilled to raise them and whatnot, and will be transferring them to a grow out tank, but. How long until these guys are big enough to start rehoming? I have no idea what kind of growth rate to expect of them. I assume they'll be happy with the same water conditions and food types as their parents, plus extra calcium supplements since they're growing their shells, but if I'm wrong I'd love to know what to do instead.

Any advice is appreciated!!

bcfishtanks

Sounds like you're about to have the cleanest glass around!
I have no advice, but I want to follow the thread because I have one mystery snail now but may get another. I must be prepared for anything.

Upvote 0

shrimpyay

Lol, hopefully! They're all, you know. Tiny little pale specks dooping around the tanks right now.

What will be interesting to see is what colors they eventually turn out to be. In the smaller tank there's a yellow female and ivory male, and in the larger there are 2 blue females, a yellow female, and an ivory male. All of them were young enough when we got them that we could observe when they hit puberty and went from not mating to mating, so I'm quite sure the only males the females have been exposed to were my two ivory boys.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, but if not I might just repurpose this thread to follow rate of growth in them.

In other news, we found a brand new clutch of eggs this morning. I think I'll just scrape those off and put them into the trash, lol.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BrynneBattersby
  • Question
  • MomOfLiveBearers
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Candace
  • Question