Mystery Snail Found Outside of Tank

Akeath

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just found one of my Mystery Snails outside of the tank. Is there a chance she's still alive? How long can they survive outside of water? I know they have a lung, so she could breathe. She was in her shell, probably been batted around a bit by the cats I suspect as I found her a couple feet away from the tank by their scratching post, but no visible wounds. I immediately put her back in the tank and am watching her now for any signs of activity. She was dry to the touch and firmly in her shell, no smell of decay. Who knows how long she was out.

I have no idea how she could have gotten out, there are no gaps in the lid. I went to great lengths to make sure the lid was cut and placed so that there are no gaps. She would have had to have crawled up the filter tube or something. That's my best guess, as I have found eggs on the filter tube above the lid once before. I have a bunch of Mystery Snails in this tank, and never had one try to get out of the tank before. All the other animals are behaving normally, no one is showing distress or hanging at the surface. The water level is pretty high, so my best guess is that she was looking for somewhere above the water line to lay eggs.

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as she doesn’t smell, I’d say there’s hope. Snails stink horribly when they die and will fall out of their shell.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can live for days outside as long as they are moist and closing her trap door tight will ensure all the moisture as been kept in, she may stay still for a few days now especially if the cat played ball with her

OP
Akeath

Akeath

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She's definitely alive! She's come out of her shell and has moved a bit. She's got her body quite a ways out of her shell compared to normal, actually. Probably re-hydrating. I can see her antennae and eye stalks waving around. Poor thing.

This is all my fault. I've been keeping the water level higher the last couple weeks because there were fewer patches of snail eggs if I keep the water higher. But apparently they are still mating and I just made the girls desperate for a good spot to lay eggs. I'll have to go back to giving them a couple inches between the lid and the water surface so they have somewhere to lay eggs in the tank where they're safe. I already lowered the water level for her a bit in case she still has eggs that her body needs to lay. I wish she'd have just used the bottom of the lid, though. She'd have literally passed it on her way out. Picky gal. I think I'll use some craft mesh to cover the area around the filter tubing so no one can crawl out that way.

New Threads