Mystery Snail Floater

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
So I arose today to a sight of one of my mystery snails floating around in the water, with their face and foot out.

I poked their shell and it was responsive so it isn't dead.

My other mystery snail is fine and they are in the same tank.

Anyone know??
 

fjh

Well Known Member
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
1,105
Points
198
Experience
5 to 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
So I arose today to a sight of one of my mystery snails floating around in the water, with their face and foot out.

I poked their shell and it was responsive so it isn't dead.

My other mystery snail is fine and they are in the same tank.

Anyone know??
My snails do that all the time. Eventually they either blow a bubble and sink or attack to something again. Yours might by looking for food, when did you last feed them?
 

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Messages
691
Reaction score
218
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine used to do it just for fun, as far as I can tell. It doesn't do it as much in the new tank where it doesn't get pecked like crazy, and where it doesn't need to look for floating food. It only gets algae wafers now because I keep forgetting to pick up more turtle sticks. Still, they do need daily feeding in a warmer tank, such as my tropical ones. Even right now they're just sitting in the bubbles. It's completely normal behaviour, though it can indicate high ammonia if it stays withdrawn, as though trying to float to better parts of the river. But being out it's probably either for fun or food.
 

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Messages
691
Reaction score
218
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try taking them out and feeding them in a cup of tank water. Make sure it's clear so you can see when they're done.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
InsanityShard said:
Try taking them out and feeding them in a cup of tank water. Make sure it's clear so you can see when they're done.
Thanks a bunch. But won't this practice stress 'em??
 

fjh

Well Known Member
Messages
2,278
Reaction score
1,105
Points
198
Experience
5 to 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
Thanks a bunch. But won't this practice stress 'em??
You can also try putting in a chumk of cucumber is or something that your fish wont be as interested in eating, but that your snails will love.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
fjh said:
You can also try putting in a chumk of cucumber is or something that your fish wont be as interested in eating, but that your snails will love.
Goldfish are interested in everything.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,515
Points
288
Experience
2 years
Thanks everyone for your help, I'm gonna go with the cup method.
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
fjh said:
You can also try putting in a chumk of cucumber is or something that your fish wont be as interested in eating, but that your snails will love.
my gold fish LOVE cukes and zuccini lol weirdos
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom