Mystery Snail Feeding

Discussion in 'Snails' started by DaleM, Apr 22, 2018.

1. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Hi all,

I have a female mystery (she laid eggs) which I mainly feed a combination of sinking hikari or shrimp wafers. She gets fed after lights out when she becomes active.

Trouble is, the cories often get to the food first, even if I drop the wafer so that it falls close to her. Is there a good way of making sure she gets enough without the Sterbai gobbling all her food?

Snails only eat until they are fall. Fish on the other hand...!!

2. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Sorry, accidentally posted in wrong forum! @Coradee could you please move to the appropriate forum? Very sorry!

3. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Done :)

4. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! It's past midnight here so I'm not very switched on!

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

In addition to some meaty foods like pellets, I also feed mine veggies - this helps ensure they're getting calcium and it ensures they get food that other fish won't steal from them.

For the pellets and wafers, you can crush them up and spread them around the tank, so both the cories and snails will get them.

6. SnailwhispererValued MemberMember

I saw someone suggest putting the snails in a small water filled container for feeding and then moving them back.

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The only issue with that is that mysteries aren't fast eaters, so they'd be in the tiny container for longer than they should, and the stress of moving them and being in the container means they may not eat well.

8. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Mine likes Pleco wafers and shelled peas. He also likes Betta pellets. Mystery snails eat pretty much anything they find except for living plants which is a good thing. I think they make excellent scavengers. I've had mine about 10 days and I already see a good amount of new shell growth.

9. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Just make sure meat forms most of his diet, so shrimp wafers, etc. Veges, Pleco wafers, etc don't have much nutritional value to mysteries

10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Yes they do. Mysteries are omnivorous, and benefit from both veggies and meat.

11. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

A breeder on here (Pringlethesnail I think it was?) said that meat should form most their diet, a bit like Corydoras

12. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I actually got the Pleco wafers for my Nerite since my tank has no algae. However, he ignores them and the Mystery scarfs them down with a little help from the Betta. I'm not sure what is keeping the Nerite alive but he defecated today so he's obviously eating something.

13. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Years ago, I had an albino Mystery that got almost as big as a golf ball in my 10 gallon tank that also had 8 or 9 fish in it. It ate everything and really liked frozen brine shrimp when he got the chance to get any.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Zucchini and vegetables are great sources for food. Algae wafers are also great. Snails eat both meat and vegetables.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice