Mystery Snail Escaped/Recovering

LoneWanderer
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on any help I can provide to my mystery snail.

I was out of town from Friday morning - Sunday evening. At some point during this time my female mystery snail climbed out of the tank and made her way behind my TV stand.

Thankfully I found her and was able to place her in a hospital tank with some food. She had been acting a bit off before this (more lethargic) but I had attributed it to her having recently laid some eggs as she was becoming more active again prior to me leaving for a couple days.

She was starting to come out of her shell when I checked last night but hasn’t moved this morning. She’s currently sort of wrapped herself around some of the substrate and is moving around her siphon and antennas but otherwise is staying put. I think she grabbed one of the pellets that I dropped in that was by her. I included a photo last night that’s admittedly not the best. The hospital tank is tucked in a corner so it’s at a weird angle. I can take another later today if she’s still like that.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can do to help her other than keep the water clean and provide her some food to munch on. I’m hoping she’ll pull through. She’s the first mystery snail I ever got and is such a character.

Attachments

• EB392126-2284-4154-8490-8561765EF735.jpeg
    EB392126-2284-4154-8490-8561765EF735.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 34
  • A1FF7596-C431-4408-A0A2-E6CF34A58291.jpeg
    A1FF7596-C431-4408-A0A2-E6CF34A58291.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 35

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
Thats pretty much it, that i know of. Just kind of have to wait and see.

Advertisement
ayeayeron
I would say you’re doing the most you can at the moment.

What temperature is her tank at? If it’s colder than 75F, you could try turning it up just a few degrees, as it might increase her activity. I wouldn’t raise it higher than 80 though.
You can also try adding in veggies or other food that might grab her attention. If she still hasn’t moved in the next day or two, I would try getting her to a spot where she can easily reach oxygen, as you mentioned her siphon is out. In the past, I have used a betta leaf hammock to hold my mystery snail up, but you could also just use a plastic container or something similar.

Hope this helps, and keep us updated on how she’s doing.

LoneWanderer
The temp is at 75 currently.

She was still in the same spot when I returned from work so I did briefly pull her out while I was changing some of the water to see if she’d react to me. She did and after the water change was crawling around. She immediately went to where I had just vacuumed up a bit of algae wafer so I guess she didn’t appreciate me stealing the food.

She does seem to be doing much better since then. She was napping on the glass, moving around the tank, and devoured the food I provided.

I’m thinking I’ll probably give her another day or two to make sure she’s alright and then move her back to the main tank (now without the one opening that was just big enough for her to sneak through )

Attachments

• 61850F8B-11BF-4932-B54D-C25D125EC89D.jpeg
    61850F8B-11BF-4932-B54D-C25D125EC89D.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 22
  • 0238C36E-6EED-4402-A93A-F6B8C7D6073C.jpeg
    0238C36E-6EED-4402-A93A-F6B8C7D6073C.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 23
Marlene327
The temp is at 75 currently.

She was still in the same spot when I returned from work so I did briefly pull her out while I was changing some of the water to see if she’d react to me. She did and after the water change was crawling around. She immediately went to where I had just vacuumed up a bit of algae wafer so I guess she didn’t appreciate me stealing the food.

She does seem to be doing much better since then. She was napping on the glass, moving around the tank, and devoured the food I provided.

I’m thinking I’ll probably give her another day or two to make sure she’s alright and then move her back to the main tank (now without the one opening that was just big enough for her to sneak through )
Glad she's doing better and hope she's adjusted back to her tank. I've had that happen too without a happy ending. I got a Styrofoam plate and cut it to size and covered holes around filters to prevent it from happening again. I had one actually climb up inside my HOB filter once to lay eggs. At least she found her way back to the tank. That's a pretty snail, and so was the one with her!

LoneWanderer
Glad she's doing better and hope she's adjusted back to her tank. I've had that happen too without a happy ending. I got a Styrofoam plate and cut it to size and covered holes around filters to prevent it from happening again. I had one actually climb up inside my HOB filter once to lay eggs. At least she found her way back to the tank. That's a pretty snail, and so was the one with her!
She did escape again. Thankfully I had a gut feeling to check on her one night and found her right behind the tank, freshly escaped.

Popped her back into the hospital tank where she did lay a clutch of eggs. I let her stay there for a few days as she was acting a bit off, but moved her back to her main tank tonight where she seems to be doing ok. The purple mystery snail quickly made his way up to her and they’ve been hanging out together again. Pretty cute.

Attachments

• DCF386E3-ACD4-44A8-8702-784C1713E8A3.jpeg
    DCF386E3-ACD4-44A8-8702-784C1713E8A3.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 18
Marlene327
Find something to tape over those holes!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Adoreesofia
  • Question
Replies
Views
John58ford