Mystery Snail Eggs

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Messages
257
Reaction score
50
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Hello again. So an unexpected thing happened.....my brother bought some mystery snails awhile back and being young and having a disability, he thinks he is incapable of caring for them and asked if I would take them. I already have 7 in my 20 gallon now, along with 4 or 5 live bearers. I feel like I'm already over stocked. They are all pretty small right now, except the three I've have which are now golf ball sized. He's giving me 5 more, so I'll have 12 in total. Will they be okay in my 20 gallon until my 10 gallon cycles? My 20 gallon isn't cycled, but I'm already doing water changes like crazy and adding prime to keep everything down. So far so good.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,148
Reaction score
6,106
Points
758
Experience
3 years
Well, that many in a 20 gallon is a bit much, especially once they reach maturity.
I would said that they'd be fine in the 20 for now, just until they move to the 10.

I would get both tanks cycled though, snails are sensitive to ammonia.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Messages
257
Reaction score
50
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
Well, that many in a 20 gallon is a bit much, especially once they reach maturity.
I would said that they'd be fine in the 20 for now, just until they move to the 10.

I would get both tanks cycled though, snails are sensitive to ammonia.
Yes lol. Wasn't planning on keeping them in there long term. I have two filters in my ten gallon, so hopefully I can use one of them to cycle my 20 gallon when my ten is done...if it works like that.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,148
Reaction score
6,106
Points
758
Experience
3 years
Emuhlee said:
Yes lol. Wasn't planning on keeping them in there long term. I have two filters in my ten gallon, so hopefully I can use one of them to cycle my 20 gallon when my ten is done...if it works like that.
Yes! That will definitely work
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Messages
257
Reaction score
50
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Yikes! So my brother gave me his mystery snail on the 25th and they instantly started mating. A few hours ago I watched the snail go to the top and start laying eggs. Do I just leave them be or.....? I think another one is about to lay eggs too. Can I take the eggs off and put them somewhere separate? If so how do I do So?
 

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
388
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
Mystery snails eggs require very high heat and humidity and lay their eggs ABOVE the water line; they actually slither their way up to do so. If you wish to keep 'em alive and to hatch, then you must have the heat and humidity VERY high, which implies not really opening the tank cover (if you have one that is) like...at all, not until AFTER the eggs hatch.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Messages
257
Reaction score
50
Points
38
Experience
Just started
SFGiantsGuy said:
Mystery snails eggs require very high heat and humidity and lay their eggs ABOVE the water line; they actually slither their way up to do so. If you wish to keep 'em alive and to hatch, then you must have the heat and humidity VERY high, which implies not really opening the tank cover (if you have one that is) like...at all, not until AFTER the eggs hatch.
I put tape over one of the holes on top and a plastic bag where the filter hangs for extra humidity. I saw a video where someone had a plastic bowl with a lid, poked holes in the lid and put another bowl over it and they hatched. If they need heat and humidity, I don't think that would work for me.
 

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
388
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
Good call there! That should work...! Hope it all goes well sweet darlin'. : ) Let everyone know! Oh and if and when they do hatch, do keep in mind that those snails are HUGE pigs lol...they eat a TON. A TON. In perspective for example: You can feed just ONE mystery snail a 3"X3" small carpet of green spot algae, and within a day it'll ALL be gone.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Messages
257
Reaction score
50
Points
38
Experience
Just started
SFGiantsGuy said:
Good call there! That should work...! Hope it all goes well sweet darlin'. : ) Let everyone know! Oh and if and when they do hatch, do keep in mind that those snails are HUGE pigs lol...they eat a TON. A TON. In perspective for example: You can feed just ONE mystery snail a 3"X3" small carpet of green spot algae, and within a day it'll ALL be gone.
God. Haha. I hope zucchini and snail jello is good....got plenty of that.
 

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
388
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, they're rather notorious for eating a TON of food. Cucumber, spinach, algae, greens are good for 'em! You wanna aim for algae for the most part though. They're also one of the fastest snails!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom