Mystery Snail Eggs

1. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I just discovered about 5 minutes ago that one of my mystery snails laid eggs. I did a water change yesterday and left the water line about an inch or so from the top. It obviously didn't take one of the snails long to take advantage of that! I have no idea which one laid them, and I have no idea which ones are male and female. I'm going to have to do some research on this. Here's the clutch. It kinda grosses me out.

IMG_0075.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are you going to let them hatch?

3. OP
    OP
    Geoff

I'd like to. All I know is to spritz them a couple times a day. Beyond that, I'll have to read up on it. I was thinking of seeing if my local PetSmart will accept them. Maybe they'll give me store credit.

4. beavlee123

beavlee123 Valued Member Member

Big chains don't usually take them. Local shops will be your best bet for donating them. They like them to be the size of a quarter when I drop mine off.

5. OP
    OP
    Geoff

My LFS of choice is Absolutely Fish in NJ, so maybe I'll see if they'll take them.

6. beavlee123

Dude, it's funny you mention that. I'm from Jersey and love that place. I just dropped off roughly 300 mystery snails to them. When they're big enough send them an email about a mass quantity. They'll take whatever you have.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That's really all you need to do. When they hatch, offer the same foods you offer the adults. Mine love green beans.

8. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

LOL - I've raised several clutches and still think they're pretty gross! HAHA
    Kinda like blackberries without the color! LOL

Sprintz them with tank water once or twice a day ( depends on how much humidity you get in the tank and if there's any splashing from the filters )
    In about 10-16 days, you should have 50 - 100 babies!

My recommendation is, if you don't plan to keep them, get a green mesh breeder box like the one I have pictured here. Take the clutch down ( don't worry, its not adhered to the tank that strong ) with a butter knife and float the clutch on a piece of styrofoam ( like the side of a cup ) INSIDE the breeder. This serves as two purposes - one to keep them ALL in one place ( will be easier when you want to take them to the lfs, you just lift the entire basket and put it in to a plastic bag ) and also for feeding purposes its much easier to keep an eye on them.

20160609_174049.jpg

Good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    Geoff

Ha! What color were they? I was there on Friday and there were a ton of "chestnut" mysteries.

10. beavlee123

Yea, those are my little guys. You know what I have another guy you can talk to. He's the one that only takes them if their the size of a quarter. Sea Level Aquarium in Pine brook NJ. He gives me 20 cents per mystery snail. He took 160 assassin snails from me too.

11. OP
    OP
    Geoff

I was there on Friday, too. I was off and did a North Jersey Fish Store Tour. I went to Fishtown USA in Ramsey, the Fish Hut in Saddle Brook, then Sea Level, then Absolutely Fish, and then Ely's in Florham Park. AF is the only one I had ever been to before. I'll definitely keep the Sea Level guy in mind! I appreciate the info.

Junne - How big is that mesh breeder? My only concern is that I don't have enough room in my 10g for it. I could put it in my 36g.

12. Junne

Its not that big - I have it in my 5 gallon right now to get the baby plecos ready for the lfs -
    Maybe 5 - 6 inches long by 4.5?
    They sell them at Petsmart/petco ( at least thats where I found mine ) it doesn't even take up 1/2 the tank in my 5 gallon.
    I'll post a picture in a minute

13. OP
    OP
    Geoff

Oh then that should be fine. Does the top of it rise well above the water line? Just wondering if snails can crawl in and/or out if the top comes right to the surface of the water.

14. Junne

Here you go. The water is about 3 inches from the top of the tank - they won't be able to crawl out easily - mystery snails don't like to be out of the water too long ( unless they are laying eggs ) so you should be fine................

5 gallon with breeder.jpg

15. OP
    OP
    Geoff

Oh great, thanks! Do you have the net clipped to the edge of the tank or something, or does it just naturally float that way in the corner?

16. Junne

Yes I have 2 clips on the side to hold it there. The ones that came with this setup were some bendable aluminum ones that never worked right for me. The basket always leaned forward or sometimes the metal clips would fall off. I use the ones you buy at the dollar store ( rubber coated ) basic all purpose clips you can use for chips, etc.
    This $5.00 I spent on this breeder net has been very useful - definitely worth the $$$.
    If you have ever tried to net up 60 pleco's, you will know what I am talking about! LOL

17. OP
    OP
    Geoff

Thanks for the help!

I think I really tempted fate. I always fill the water to the top. And then I got to thinking, how come my snails haven't laid any eggs? Are they all dudes? Then after seeing people's posts on here about their snail eggs and whatnot, I realized they needed open air at the top of the tank. So when I did my water change yesterday, I purposefully left an inch off the top "just to see what would happen."

Well...now I know!

18. Junne

HAHA well snails are pretty crafty. She probably would have laid it anyway and in the most strangest places ( like upside down on the lid ) so its a good thing you gave her some room ( and easier for you to see )

By the way, what colors are your snails? It's very possible that she was already bearing eggs from the store. You haven't had them very long so I don't think mating between your snails could have occurred but then again, you never know!

19. OP
    OP
    Geoff

Gold, blue, black, and albino.

20. Junne

Wow! Keep that breeder net ( when you get one ) handy........ Sounds like you may have more snails in your future..

I had a mystery snail for 3 months before she laid any eggs ( she was the only snail in the tank so I know it came that way from the store )

She ended up laying several clutches ( and I ended up getting her a mate ) so all in all, maybe about 8 clutches before she died ( I had her for 2.5 years )