Mystery Snail Eggs Infertile? Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Meredith, Apr 21, 2018.

1. MeredithNew MemberMember

Hello everyone, I've got a dilemma and could use some advice.

It's now been just over 2 weeks since my snail laid her first clutch and not much has changed. I know they say wait a month, and I'd be happy to do so, but yesterday she laid 2 more clutches, so I've got a bit of a problem.

I know I can dispose of them easily enough if I do it soon - actually tried last night but I guess they hadn't hardened enough because I broke a few eggs in the process :( I was going to get rid of them anyway, but it still wasn't a pleasant experience. But I want snail babies (some, as in one clutch, not like 500) and it would be a shame to destroy both of the new ones if the first one turns out to be infertile.

These new ones look different too - the first one is perfectly uniform, the eggs are small and almost all the same size. It almost looks like an ear of baby corn, and about half the size of one. They're all pink and have been from day one. I think I see dark spots in the middle, but I'm not 100% sure it's baby snails. The new ones however look more like a bunch of grapes, the eggs are various sizes and hues of white and pink.

Any thoughts/advice would greatly appreaciated. I have to decide soon - either way I don't want to accidentally crush baby snails. But I don't have room for three clutches worth of them either :/

2. SnailwhispererValued MemberMember

I have a similar problem. I would love to see one clutch of baby snails. I plan on keeping one small clutch. I am giving away others. I am not worried too much if the one I have decided to keep does not hatch, because they seem to lay them all the time. You could always keep them all and dispose of the unhatched once one hatches. Or choose one and know that if it doesn't you will always have more.

3. PringlethesnailWell Known MemberMember

I throw them away after 25 days of not hatching. I break them in half to make sure it’s empty and usually the middle will smell kind of bad/ rotten. After a few days you can sometimes see a dark spot in the middle which is the “yolk” and then becomes the baby snail. Sometimes the eggs are thicker than others so if you don’t see the spot there could still be babies in there.

Usually 24 hours after laying them they are hardened enough to take off the wall in one piece and throw away.

Usually momma snails tend to lay the same shape eggs. For example, my yellow one would always lay short and fat clutches, my white one would lay really long and skinny ones, my brown one oddly shaped ones. If you are sure it is the same snail she could just be perfecting her clutch shape, nothing to worry about!

4. StormTrooperValued MemberMember

If you're wondering whether or not the eggs are fertile, you said one is still pink, and the other 2 are different hues of pink and white. Those 2 different ones are fertile for sure. I'm not sure about the one that is still pink. But the white spots on those clutches are the baby snails eating their way out. So yes indeed those ones are fertile!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice