Mystery Snail Eggs In The Water

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok so my mystery snail laid eggs for the first time and kinda screwed up. They couldn't have been in the water for even an hour, probably close to an hour, but no more than 40 minutes. I removed the full ones as best as I could, some started to fall apart, but they're now in a Tupperware floating at the top with on some paper towels, the towels are kinda wet just because the eggs were, but when I tried to move them to a more damp area they kinda started falling apart.... Any sense in trying to save them?

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Also I will be unable to do anything else about it until 2

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly i would just wait until the next clutch. Most of the eggs have probably drowned and its its fallimg apart already then thats not a good sign.
Wait about 2 weeks and you'll have anither chance. Perhaps you hav lower the water level a but so they have more space to lay the eggs. Otherwise, good luck!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks, but I can't really lower it anymore because of the hob, but that have a good 2-3 inches (tank is a bit uneven). Also, most of the eggs look like they were laid wrong, like some looked like half an egg or less. Will she get better in time do you think?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
Thanks, but I can't really lower it anymore because of the hob, but that have a good 2-3 inches (tank is a bit uneven). Also, most of the eggs look like they were laid wrong, like some looked like half an egg or less. Will she get better in time do you think?
2-3" is great. Also if you have a hood or just put plastic wrap over one corner thatll encourage her to lay them in that location next time.

My guess is the eggs look funny because they were laid in the water. They couldnt harden like they should and the stikiness was probably less effective. Next time if they are laid correctly, the eggs should turn out more standard-looking

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, thank you. And I actually do have a lid on my tank and there's tons of moisture, so I'm just really confused as to why she laid them in the water... And thanks for answering and helping me out.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
Okay, thank you. And I actually do have a lid on my tank and there's tons of moisture, so I'm just really confused as to why she laid them in the water... And thanks for answering and helping me out.
No problem, im glad to be of use!
Possible since its her first clutch she doesnt quite have the hang of it... give her a few tries

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Heyyy, so looks like I'm going to need some help.... I am a bit confused but she laid another egg clutch correctly, but there's not nearly as much moisture in the tank as there was yesterday as I was doing some maintenance and a lot escaped... Do I need to move them? Why do people move them? I don't currently have any snail eaters in the tank, I will have one guy moving back in from QT in a few weeks but she'd only be able to eat tiny babies. The bottom two don't look as good, they look a bit deflated. I'm running out to grab a little Tupperware that will fit under my lid today, should I put them temporarily in a Ziploc baggie or something? ( I did that to yesterday's just in case, is there too much moisture in there)? Sorry for all the questions

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Also it's hard to the touch and right by the light, so I'm going to try and move it I think

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats! Wow that was fast... possibly she didnt finish laying her eggs yesterday.

If you have a piece of plastic or styrofoam etc that will float you can use that as well. I wouldnt use a bagfie because the eggs/babies need to breathe before they hatch and you may suffocate them.

You dont NEED to move them, but most people do so that they can contain the little ones after they hatch. You also have more control over the clutch then.

Lastly... when you say you dint have any snail eaters but youll be moving one in soon, what do you mean?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah that was crazy fast... I might wake up to another tomorrow lol.
I did poke holes in the baggie and I ran out and got some sterilite sandwich container things. I'll have to leave again soon, so I'll decide on moving them in a bit, but I may just leave the ones that are there and move the ones in the baggie to the sandwich thing... I don't think those form yesterday will make it, but I'll try just in case.
And I do need to clarify on the "snail eater". She's not a snail eater exactly, but I have a stunted little common goldfish who is normally in the 60, which is where they are. I know she can eat tiny ramshorn snails, but once they reach about a quarter of an inch they're normally safe. She was in QT for dropsy, so it was easier for me to monitor and do water changes, and she recovered! But she's still sick with something she had before, and it's probably going to take a few more weeks to sort that out. She's decently peaceful though, she's been fine with an amano shrimp in there for a few weeks before I had to take her out. I may move the eggs in a few days just to contain the babies for a while, should I just leave them for now?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
Yeah that was crazy fast... I might wake up to another tomorrow lol.
I did poke holes in the baggie and I ran out and got some sterilite sandwich container things. I'll have to leave again soon, so I'll decide on moving them in a bit, but I may just leave the ones that are there and move the ones in the baggie to the sandwich thing... I don't think those form yesterday will make it, but I'll try just in case.
And I do need to clarify on the "snail eater". She's not a snail eater exactly, but I have a stunted little common goldfish who is normally in the 60, which is where they are. I know she can eat tiny ramshorn snails, but once they reach about a quarter of an inch they're normally safe. She was in QT for dropsy, so it was easier for me to monitor and do water changes, and she recovered! But she's still sick with something she had before, and it's probably going to take a few more weeks to sort that out. She's decently peaceful though, she's been fine with an amano shrimp in there for a few weeks before I had to take her out. I may move the eggs in a few days just to contain the babies for a while, should I just leave them for now?
Oh! that makes more sense now
Yes the eggs will be fine on the glass for a while. it takes about 2 weeks to hatch IME.
If you have a breeder net, those are great for containing the babies and preventing them from being eaten but still providing filtration, etc. keep in mind that when you feed them though they dont neat nearly as much as the adults!
Also, unless you literally want 100s of little mystery snails, i would perhaps only hatch half of the clutch. but do whatever you want

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was planning on building a couple of little breeder boxes so that I could make the holes really tiny, glad to know it's a good plan! I think I might as well try and hatch them all, I have a great LFS who's offered to buy stuff off me before, so hopefully they can take the extras. And, even when my goldfish was in the tank, I only got maybe 2 nitrates a week, so I have some room for a few more

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, even if this one doesn't make it, I guess I'll have more soon. I have a few basic care questions if that's okay... How often should they mate, because I'm worried my male is stressing the female too much, they mate literally every day? Also, these two snails literally eat more than my goldfish, and I've been told they stop eating when they're not hungry, which does seem to happen... I feed them a mix of algae wafers, goldfish pellets, cichlid flakes, and occasionally some veggies. Is this a bad diet? And why do they eat more than a goldfish, like what the heck? And one more question, if that's ok: what would a cross between a Chestnut and a gold mystery snail look like? Would Chestnut just be dominant?
Edit: He's actually wild colored, my bad

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom